Subject: Re: south pole
Date: Mar 12, 2001 @ 23:06
Author: peter.smaardijk@and.com (peter.smaardijk@...)

I know the (uninhabited) island of Clipperton falls under the French
governor of French Polynesia, and the Scattered islands (in between
Madagascar and Mozambique) directly under the Parisian ministry of
overseas territories, allthough for practical reasons the governor of
Reunion seems to have a say as well concerning these five tiny islets.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> The capital of Bechuanaland was Mafeking outside of that colony and
inside
> S.Africa. When it became independent as Botswana, they had to
rapidly
> construct a capital, hence Gaberone, which is quite small and new.
>
> The governor of Pitcairn Island is the British HC to NZ, located in
> Wellington, thousands of miles away across the sea. An impending
court case
> over rape on the island has to be dealt with through him, and the
Kent
> Police in the UK, who are responsible for policing the 44 people
left on
> Pitcairn. In some sneses then, the 'capital' or administrative seat
of
> Pitcairn is Wellington, not the settlement of Adamstown on the
island
> itself.
>
> Do other governors of permanently populated British territories
live so far
> away? BIOT?

> >From: Peter Smaardijk <peter.smaardijk@a...>
> >To: BoundaryPoint@y...
> >Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] south pole
> >Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:01:08 +0100
> >
> >On the subjects of entities having their capital outside of the
territory:

> >Chandigarh in India is a union territory, but also (or really: for
reason
> >of being) the capital of
> >both Punjab and Haryana states.
> >
> >Peter S.
> >
> >michael donner wrote:
> >
> > > of course it wouldnt matter if they really did move their
capital to
> >antarctica
> > >
> > > legally they just wouldnt have it in their country any more
> > >
> > > the worlds first government in voluntary exile
> > >
> > > & antarctic everyones land might be glad to host it &
ultimately catch
> >on
> > > as a global offshore haven for all governments
> > >
> > > political follies as usual but just on ice now
> > >
> > > hmm
> > > sounds like a great idea come to think of it
> > > & one whose time has nearly come
> > > for i see the new jersey state house is already practically in
> >pennsylvania
> > > & the usa did shoot one senator into orbit some months ago
> > >
> > > so you may consider the handwriting to be already on the wall

> >its

Groups is
Terms of