Subject: Re: American State Boundaries
Date: May 08, 2003 @ 20:45
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Flynn, Kevin"

i promised to quit
but this is too much fun

> It's fun to argue about measuring
> around a molecule, but c'mon. Don't get lost in the theory so
much that
> you're immobilized in the real world.

yes our try pointing pursuits really arent oriented to the real world
or what passes for the real world
at all
youve got that right & indeed it even goes without saying
since we have just been doing all this for the pure fun of it

yet you keep harping on this as if we really were lost &
immobilized

on the contrary
i for one feel very well oriented & fluid thanx to all this play
& i also have to wonder whether there is any practical use for
knowing the supposed or even the actual length of a boundary in
the real world

you keep maintaining that there is
& that that is reality
but i have to wonder if you arent again just dreaming
about reality

> Re: Ellis Island. I believe that a measurement was indeed
made of the
> boundary. The question you ask was why?

do you mean me
this wasnt my question
i only wanted to know the length

& i really will quit here because i have to run now

Because it is there, I suppose. Same
> question might apply to numerous point-to-point boundaries.
Why measure if
> you're only going from point A to point B? They just do it as part
of the
> establishment of the line.

marking its position

> has value but determining its length is purely academic.
>
> Your analogy to the "angels on a pin" argument made me
realize that your
> devotion to the "definite length theory for fractal boundaries" is
a matter
> of faith for you, and is therefore impervious to logic. Would you
agree?

> > Please let's not have the "how many angels can dance on
the head of htis
> > pin" discussion again. We can and do measure natural
borders, and we don't
> > need an electron microscope to do it. They did measure
around the presumed
> > 1934 low water line on Ellis Island and there is a length to it.
It is

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/