Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: American State Boundaries
Date: May 08, 2003 @ 21:04
Author: Flynn, Kevin ("Flynn, Kevin" <flynnk@...>)

Believe me, I am not ignorant of the point on the other side of the
argument. But human scale is reasonable when asking the question "What is
the longest common state boundary?" and the answer would NOT be CA-NV, but
OK-TX. That is, if the questioner were really interested in the comparative
lengths to see which is longer.

If one were to walk the high water line of the Red River as defined in the
legal document setting up OK-TX, in all of its twists and turns and dried up
bayous and wherever it went, that person would not be walking forever. It
isn't infinite. Measure that path when he gets to the end and you will have
a very good human-scale length. The fact that you can then get an electron
microscope and measure around molecules in between each footstep until the
end of time doesn't make it sound any less silly to say this is not truly
longer than CA-NV, which is demonstrably shorter than even the smallest
estimate of OK-TX.