Subject: Re: Straddling - US-CA - 300 buildings
Date: May 07, 2003 @ 23:36
Author: Karolis B. ("Karolis B." <kbajoraz@...>)

> but other than that single hope
> i rather doubt vertical borders or any kind of vertical
differentiation
> of sovereignty can be pointed to as a present reality anywhere in
> the world today

Here you are wrong Mike. Tho I give 0 credibility to that apartment
building story and Len's case involves administration, not
sovereignty, all Lithuanian border teaties establish that the border
in water constructions (such as bridges, dams, lake drains and stuff)
do not follow the border there vertically present, but instead go
trough the physical axis (middle) of such constructions. So for
example (and there must be a whole bunch of these cases) there's a
river, somwhere around the middle is the border line. We can extend
the border line to ground depths and air and it makes the
border "wall". However there is a bridge suspended in the air and the
middle of the bridge doesn't match exactly the borderline below, thus
causing an iterruption of the border wall. A piece of Lithuanian
bridge slammed two meters trough the Russian wall and stuff like
that. Sadly, it is impossible to be in this disturbed border area as
it is only INSIDE the bridge. Even if you would try to make a hole in
the bridge, the hole would then not be a part of the bridge but
become air space and follow the normal border. Very weird, yes, but
this is not referred to in any terms of exceptional conditions or
anything, the border treaties simply say that BORDER in water
constructions is the axes of such.