Subject: Re: American State Boundaries
Date: May 04, 2003 @ 20:54
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

ahh craig
it just dawned on me
& your question proves to have been even more brilliant than
was previously believed

& no wonder you expressed no satisfaction with the 25mile long
depa candidate
as shortest interstate boundary

for tho i still think the meaning of the question remains
indeterminate even after your clarification below
i now believe you may really have wanted us to consider & settle
upon the unconnected 3mile kytn sector cutting off the neck of
kentucky bend
or else upon the tiny njny boundary loop that surrounds the 3acre
ellis island clave
whose total length is still unknown tho probably knowable

& indeed i am still not sure which of these latter 2 is the shorter
but i think one or the other should ultimately satisfy your question
if any

it is noteworthy that the ellis island njny loop was originally fractal
but since it is based today on a former rather than the present
shoreline
the supreme court adjudicator or special master was forced to
rationalize the line into a series of plotted points

so we might have to play with these points exactly the kind of
connect the dots game that proponents of oktx for longest
interstate boundary were wanting to play with it

except here it is perfectly legitimate to measure & sum the
distances between all the plotted points
since it is actually these which define the boundary

indeed just that is all one could do in light of the details given in
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/gis/images/mapcon1999/thornton.htm

our only outstanding tasks then are to ask you again what you
meant
& what you would accept
& then if necessary to find the full list of all these njny points
& connect them with tiny great circle arcs
& add up all their lengths
in order to determine which of these previously overlooked
candidates is in fact shorter
the kytn or the njny

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> among american interstate boundaries
> excluding or ignoring azco & nmut
> i think depa must be the shortest
> & moreover it cant be fractally inflated
> since it is entirely comprised of geometric lines
>
> so i think you should be satisfied with that one at least craig
>

> however for longest interstate boundary
> the best available truth appears to be that the fractal principle
> would actually make all river boundaries stretch into the same
> condition of indeterminacy as we have observed for oktx
>
> so all such river boundaries must be considered equally long
> all appearances to the contrary notwithstanding
> with their supposed or apparent length depending only on how
> carefully they are measured
>
> if all are measured with equal & consistent care
> a fair proviso under the circumstances
> then all bulges bends oxbows etc of the same size would be
> measured equally or equally disregarded on all boundaries
>
> right down to the molecular level i suppose
>
> & in practical reality
> such conscientious measuring
> besides being impossible
> would quickly lead to the realization that canv cant be
surpassed

<trehala@y...>
> wrote:
> > Thank-you for your answer, Brian, however I am looking for a
> state
> > border that does not meet at a point. Think of
Turkey-Azerbaijan