Subject: Re: BZGT
Date: Apr 26, 2003 @ 14:27
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

> I did not get a photo of a BZGT border marker -- there are only 3

> I also found out from the border officials that there is an official
> marker
> at BZGTMX.

> there is a good chance of being back here in a month.
>
> Doug

great & so if you do return
then as you probably recall
bzgtmx has been in transition

the point marked by the old marker
at aguas turbias
was never tripartite
& belize has formally conceded it is only a point on gtmx

so it isnt the true tripoint but only a formerly supposed tripoint

& the new marker
or marker designate
situated a very short distance due east of the old one
at nlat 17d 03m 31s071 x wlong 89d 09m 00s283
awaits referendums & ratifications indefinitely postponed

so here is a chance for a rare class aa visit
& a double bullseye on a tripoint that doesnt even legally exist yet

what fun

also
in addition to the 3 major bzgt monuments
there are 32 lesser bzgt markers
all in the southern sector
but i dont think any of these will be easy to find or photograph

http://belize.centramerica.com/noticias/detalle.asp?Id=664

also
as you return to bz from your present location at livingston
passing thru the bahia de amatique
take a look toward the east
past the cabo de tres puntas aka tripoint cape
into the gulf of honduras
where there is also a bzgthn territorial waters tripoint designate
according to the same bzgt treaty in process

the maps attached to
http://www.belize.gov.bz/features/proposals/belize_guatemala_di
fferendum.html
reveal the position of this point

also shown on the maps
only btw
& only since we were discussing this topic recently
are the straight coastal baselines on which the territorial waters
of the 3 countries are based
& from which the new tripoint position was determined using the
equidistance principle

& the still more streamlined 12nm limits can also be seen there
also only btw

but back to the chase
i am most curious what if anything you have been able to learn
locally about the present status or anticipated fate of the stalled
bzgt treaty

there has been no news on the internet since the guatemalan
referendum was indefinitely postponed last year

& most germanely & by special request doug
heres wishing you a fulfilling completion of your 40th year
& a happy beginning of your 41st
& indeed may all your years fill in like parallels of latitude