Subject: Re: caus njny etc was FRGB
Date: Apr 25, 2003 @ 04:40
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

thanx mike
i am way over my head here as usual
& i think there might well have been a break or breaks in frgb
within the straits of dover
as you say
given only the irregular shapes of the opposing coastlines
& the equidistance principle

however
the straight coastal baselines from which territorial seas are
measured bypass the irregularities of the coasts themselves
much as some of our recent oktx rationalizations bypassed the
irregularities of the right bank of the red river
except that in the present case the shortcuts are legally specified
rather than just a subjective invention

& then on top of this first simplification
the outer limits of the territorial seas tend to be further
streamlined
since they dont just follow & mimic the straight baselines by
means of a simple offset at a fixed distance
as one might suppose
but they are actually projected in arcs of fixed radius from every
possible cape &or islet etc
so that they tend to form complex french curves rather than
simply reiterating the zigzags of the coastal baselines

this 2stage rationalization tends to average & soften & round
everything off twice
making the kind of disjunction you envision seem all the more
unlikely to occur at any single short narrowing to under 24nm
such as apparently obtains at dover straits

but i think you will find a perfect example of what you are talking
about in the cadk territorial sea boundary that runs intermittently
between greenland & ellesmere island canada
from smith bay to lincoln sea

there
proceeding north
you enter smith sound
a first narrows of under 24nm

then you emerge into kane basin
which is much wider than 24nm
& thus includes a pocket of everyones water

then you enter kennedy channel
a second narrows of under 24nm

next you emerge into hall basin
which is again much wider than 24nm
& thus includes another spot of everyones water

& then you enter robeson channel
a third narrows of under 24nm
before finally emerging into the lincoln sea & arctic ocean

so i believe you have there 3 disconnected sectors of the cadk
territorial sea boundary
each of them terminating in 2 tripoints with everyones water
just as you describe below

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman

http://www.windsorpubliclibrary.com/images/Museum/riversedge