Subject: Re: Kentucky-Tennessee at Dale Hollow Lake
Date: Apr 22, 2003 @ 17:44
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

another nice thing about the kytn boundary here with all these
fingertips reaching out in both directions across dale hollow lake
is that the original line that created them in 1780
called walkers line
or walker & hendersons line
was the first projection westward from the cumberland gap or
modern kytnva of the original lat 36d 30m vanc line
that had been begun at the atlantic coast before 1730
& would reach the mississippi by 1820
& even new mexico by 1860
after many additional lurches & changes of name

indeed it didnt even become kytn here til 1796

but more to the point of the fingertips
because the walker line was also made long before the dale
hollow tva dam lake ever emerged from the wolf river valley
a few of the original markers have been submerged
but it looks as tho 3 or 4 of the originals may still be found on the
dry land lines that cross the fingertips

& finding one of these markers
besides informing you where its fingertip began
might also be as satisfying as finding an original ellicott mound
or rather 2 decades more satisfying

& thanx to the crookedness of the line & preservation of the area
that might yet be a cinch
using just a topo & gps

btw the reason this vanc or kytn line zigzags around so much is
not survey error but the fact that the commissioners were
empowered to accommodate the wishes of the local
landholders as to which state they would prefer to live in

& fortunately for fingertipping
it is the turnpoints of their zigs & zags that identify the points
where the original markers if any will be found
to tell fingertippers where the tips they seek actually begin

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> craig
> indeed a couple of nice handfuls of fingers
>
> waves
>
> & i think your question is probably & amply but not yet
definitively

<trehala@y...>
> wrote:
> > Are there any photos of the TN tips on the northern shore of
> Dale
> > Hollow Lake? They're dangling fingertips of land that are
Point