Subject: Re: ITVA
Date: Apr 17, 2003 @ 06:53
Author: Karolis B. ("Karolis B." <kbajoraz@...>)

> No, and I think you're right. The treaty text does only
> mention "soggetta ai poteri di polizia delle autorità italiane"
> (subject to the powers of the police of the Italian authorities).
It
> is just that the article paraphrases it as "sotto la giurisdizione
> delle Autorità italiane" (under the jurisdiction of the Italian
> authorities). "Jurisdiction" is understood as policing powers.
>
> Peter S.

In any case, don't you think there might be a seperate agreement on
police power in the rest of Vatican proper. I mean the Swiss Guard
might be able to catch a criminal, but probably not to investigate a
complex crime. I wonder about that case where that one Swiss guard
killed his family and huimself or something like that. Also do
Vatican Citizens (the high clergy) enjoy immunity in Vatican? And how
is the procedure of turning the case over from one country to
another, since Italian courtrs decide criminal cases of Vatican. And
also what about the pickpockets in St. Peter's Square. Italian police
can immediately arrest them, but does Italy need permission from
Vatican to fine or try them? And I suppose it is not mandatory for
Vatican to turn over the case for trial in Italia, they could decide
to just forgive just like that. And who would do a civil case, what
about car accidents and etc? The thing is that the people there are
much more concerned with the Holy See than the Vatican City State.
BTW, Jan, do you think HE Cardinal Backis is Vatican Citizen???