Subject: Re: ITVA
Date: Apr 16, 2003 @ 21:40
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...>
wrote:
> The St. Peter's Square is Vatican territory proper as I understand
> things, but with the Italian police having a right to exercize
Italian
> police jurisdiction (ticket, drag away from the Vatican area and try
> one in Italian court) - I didn't get out of the text that for any
> other purpose there was any Italian sayso there like taxes or postal
> services. Especially visible are Vatican and no Italian postal
> services in the square where the Vatican parks its mobile post
office.
> Or, did the article mean something else?

No, and I think you're right. The treaty text does only
mention "soggetta ai poteri di polizia delle autorità italiane"
(subject to the powers of the police of the Italian authorities). It
is just that the article paraphrases it as "sotto la giurisdizione
delle Autorità italiane" (under the jurisdiction of the Italian
authorities). "Jurisdiction" is understood as policing powers.

Peter S.