Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: American State Boundaries
Date: Apr 17, 2003 @ 05:53
Author: Flynn, Kevin ("Flynn, Kevin" <flynnk@...>)

This is simply paralysis of theory. Of course natural boundaries can be
measured with relatively precise accuracy. One would not need to measure and
include the height of every blade of grass on the line, not go around each
grain of sand in the way. You measure across it. It isn't illegitimate to
say one river flows for 15 miles down the center of its channel and another
1,000. What is not reasonable is to say when determining a water boundary
that both of those watercourses are of the same infinite length because they
are fractal.