Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: American State Boundaries
Date: Apr 16, 2003 @ 23:12
Author: Michael Kaufman (Michael Kaufman <mikekaufman79@...>)

The riverbanks can have an almost infinite length
which is practically impossible to measure, but I
think the center or thalweg can not be considered in
the same category. Looking at it from above with one
bank on the bottom and the other on top (thus
traveling along the bank is traveling along the x-axis
and crossing river is along y-axis), there emerges an
upper and lower bound. When drawing the boundary
along the center or thalweg, you can only go in one
direction without doubling back and must stay within
the bounds...essentially only one y-coordinate per
each x-coord. This is unlike the bank which, due to
shapes of rocks, you can have the shore go in and out
(several y-coord per x-coord).

--- "Brian J. Butler" <bjbutler@...>