Subject: Re: ITVA
Date: Apr 13, 2003 @ 20:20
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...>
> The Vatican paper shows that there is a real stark discrepancy
between
> what is presented here on the linked page and that which was in the
> website that was an earlier subject of messages here - in which it
> maintainted, namely, that there is a circular, crescent shaped niche
> of Italy jutting northward into the east side of the porticos
> surrounding St. Peter's Square. The new article shows the border
> slices diagonally right through the Vatican walls at this point, and
> that the steps to the elevated sections on which the porticos'
> supporting pillars rest are in Italy - the Vatican buildings hang
over
> into Italy.

Now my Italian is not good to say the least, but as far as I could
understand there are two things pointed out in the article:

1. The map that went with the 1929 treaty exists in two versions: one
that went with the treaty as it was published in the Italian official
state newspaper (Gazzetta Ufficiale), and the one that was added to
the treaty as it was published in the Vatican official state
newspaper (Acta Apostolicae Sedis). The area is marked by a red arrow
(fig. 2a and 2b).

2. The "extra" columns that stick out from the Bernini colonnade (at
the outside of which the ITVA boundary is running), where the Via
della Conciliazione meets St. Peter's square, are not part of the
Bernini columns proper, and so they are in Italy. But they are
connected to the Bernini columns at their top ends. Since it is
connected to (and thus part of) the building, the building itself can
be considered a divided building. (Yes, I know it sounds strange,
being part of it and at the same time not being part of it, but it's
surely down to something I didn't understand in the text. I mean the
point is made clear in the pictures). It is compared with the Pope
Paul VI Audience Hall, another building which is partly on Vatican
territory, partly on Italian territory that is
nevertheless "extraterritorial".

Another thing that is pointed out here is that St. Peter's square has
a special status, being Vatican territory, but under Italian
jurisdiction.

But, as I was saying, my Italian is rubbish. Did I misunderstood
anything here??

Peter S.