Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Neutral Zones
Date: Apr 05, 2003 @ 16:09
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

>I also always wondered about law in such places. Who has legal
>jurisdiction? in Antractica, in ESMO, in...?

The situation in Antarctica would appear to be complicated. The seven
nations claiming territory on the continent would seem to apply their own
national law within their claims, but several of these areas overlap, and
none are recognised by any other country. The Antarctic Treaty (signed by
45 nations) also establishes a legal structure within the continent, but I
think this only makes the provision for crimes to be prosecuted by an
offender's own country. If a national of a non-signatory country were to
commit a crime in Antarctica, could they still be prosecuted?

Regards,

Kevin Meynell