Subject: Re: Neutral Zones - Navassa & Murder?
Date: Apr 03, 2003 @ 03:42
Author: Karolis B. ("Karolis B." <kbajoraz@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...>
wrote:
> Wait a minute - that's not right.
> Navassa is US territory under the jurisdiction of the US Department
of
> the Interior. US federal laws apply,

and there is a federal law
> against murder.

I am told there isn't!

The US federal government can prosecute a murder
> there.

The US federal government can prosecute anything, even if you did it
in Denmark or Morocco. They one-sidedly came up that they have the
divine right to prosecute a crime done anywhere as long as the person
is physically present in US. Either that or I'm dead wrong.

The Dept of the Interior would turn the case over to the
> Department of Justice. You wrote there is "no LOCAL law". In a
place
> where there is no state, county or similar local legal
administration,
> the federal law is the local law, precisely because the area is
under
> federal jurisdiction.

Exactly. And there are very many things federal law doesn't cover.

And back to Navassa. Haitian fishermen are allowed there and come
there sometimes. Why don't they ever bring pregnant women to make US
citizens there, I wonder? Or do they?

I notice that in such weird justice situations treaties, or
nonexistence of such, are ignored, and the "sensible" thing is done,
which annoys me, for if you neglect law to bring justice of law,
that's nonsense.