Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Xapitelako Harria - > Basque enclaves etc.
Date: Mar 26, 2003 @ 14:29
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

>of course if we tried to divine or create a fresh glyph for every wannabee
>country in the world we might well run out of unreserved letter combinations

Of course, ISO 3166 is most useful for Internet TLDs these days and there
have been initiatives to create rTLDs (as opposed to gTLDs and ccTLDs) for
various ethnic and political groupings. Unfortunately, whilst regions with
recognised borders and administrations (e.g. Catalonia, Scotland and
Corsica) would be fairly easy to deal with, you have big problems when it
comes to regions that span one or more countries (e.g. Basque country) or
those with ill-demarcated boundaries (e.g. Kurdistan). The main problem is
that no single organisation speaks for those regions, which makes agreement
on even the most simple things (e.g. what identifiers to use) impossible.
It shouldn't be forgotten that it took nearly 20 years to compile ISO 3166,
and that was dealing with recognised governments!

Incidentally, .eu is likely to the first example of an 'rTLD', even though
this nomenclature is not formally used.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell