Subject: Re: Xapitelako Harria - > Basque enclaves etc.
Date: Mar 26, 2003 @ 13:32
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

<kevin@m...>
> wrote:
> >
> > >btw i think the eh diglyph is used for western sahara
> >
> > Indeed it is.
> >
> > >tho the eu may also be reserved for the european union i
dont know

> > EU is on the ISO 3166-1 reserved list, so it can't be used for
any
> other
> > country or territory.
> >
> > >but if necessary maybe ek would do & be unmistakable too
> >
> > In theory, ISO 3166-2 exists for codifying sub-divisions of
> countries,
> > although I think there is unfortunately only one identifier for
the
> entire
> > Basque region within Spain.

ok but the misfortune isnt ours because basque spain alone is
only half of what we were trying to encipher here
for our admittedly unusual & very special purposes

& it is no surprise really that there is just no way to say all of the
basque country within both spain & france combined
using any form of proper iso

but our reluctance to settle on any active or reserved iso code
such as eh or eu for euskal herria neednt stop us from
appropriating an otherwise presumably available iso glyph
for our peculiar needs or desires
like say ek in this case
if that were the case
so long as we are prepared to retreat to a better glyph if such a
one ever becomes active in iso
or confusing for any other reason

so happily we can both employ iso for our purposes & not be
limited by it at the same time

of course if we tried to divine or create a fresh glyph for every
wannabee country in the world
we might well run out of unreserved letter combinations
but that neednt stop us from bumbling along on an ad hoc basis
as we have in fact been doing all along
from akwesasne to everyones land to palestine & on to the
basque country now

& such ad hoc bumbling btw is just exactly how we have also
been creating practically all of our subnational tripoint glyphs
usually without detaining ourselves over local proprieties either
because in fact practically the entire world has already been
officially diglyphed down to local levels
if we cared to slow down long enough to nail everything with
absolute propriety

so we could & may some day be a lot more rigorous in all our
nomenclature
but we can also continue to be just as free as we like
so long as we can understand each other

> > >Let's rush to ISO, before they take that away from us too...
> >
> > Almost every region that has ambitions of being a country
> entertains the
> > idea of obtaining their own ISO 3166-1 code, but you have to
be a
> sovereign
> > state or a detached entity to get one.
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I was aware of that. Of course I was only joking...
>
> Peter S.
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Kevin Meynell

yes
fortunately we are clowns only rushing in & no real victims here