Subject: Re: Xapitelako Harria - > Basque enclaves etc.
Date: Mar 25, 2003 @ 20:52
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter

> > i believe i understand & agree with your identification of a
single
> > most comprehensive basque tripoint
> > based on the tricolor map i posted previously
> > & situated in the bidasoa
> > where the basque & navarre autonomous communities of
spain
> > meet the unorganized french basque country
> > which latter i gather is called iparralde as a unity
>

> Yes, but not officially. In fact, it is discouraged (e.g. by the
> Egunkaria newspaper journalist manual) to use Iparralde on
the same
> level as the southern provinces, since it itself is divided into
> three. Some people from the south (called Hegoalde, i.e. the
South
> Side) tend to think that Iparralde is the fifth Basque province,
> which it isn't of course.
>

> > hence i would have thought eu2baipna
> > aka esfr2banapy
> > or maybe esfr2ginapy
> > for the naming of it
> >
> > yet this assessment may still be an oversimplification
> > judging from the bascocentric map in
> > http://www.basque-red.net/eng/euskaeng/eheng.htm
> > which ignores the part of esfr that splits navarre in 2
> > & reopens the question of exactly how many bascocentric
> > basque subdivisions there are
> > 3 or 6 or 7
>
> The most powerful political slogan of the Basque is:
> 3+4=1
> Another one is "Zazpiak Bat" ("The Seven Are One")
> But there are those that use "Seiak Bat" ("The Six Are One")
> The Basque coat-of-arms is made up of six provincial
coat-of-arms,
> because both Lower and Upper Navarre use the same
coat-of-arms
> (the "Navarre chains").
> The division into three units is only showing the present
> administrative divisions: B.A.C., Navarre, and (part of)
Pyrénées
> Atlantiques.

imo the above train of thought is most telling

it shows the tripartite division of my tricolor map to be artificial

& biting the dust with it is my earlier idea of there being a single
most major bascocentric basque multipoint

instead & on further reflection
the 6province division of my second map & your coat of arms
seems to give the most authentically basque arrangement

lovely to see esfr at least partially disregarded by them besides

& it makes the increase to a 7province division
& the pair of double navarre tripoints with it
seem like a needless compromise to the reality of esfr

so at this point i get the feeling that the most authentically
basque view would comprehend not just the single tripoint
formed by the 3 generally recognized sectors
but rather a total of 3 primary & coequal triprovincial points
formed by the 6 traditional basque provinces
the same 3 tripoints you have shown us pictures of in fact

& that such a view might play down or even disregard the 2 extra
tripoints you have also mentioned that were produced by the
international partition of navarre into 2 pseudoprovinces or
hemiprovinces

or anyway thats how it seems to me now from way over here

> > & therefore how many major tripoints
> > only the 1 biggie or the several you have already identified
> > or perhaps a couple of extra ones too at the terminal points
> > where the 2 navarres meet
> >
> > it is a wonderful puzzle in any case
> > & i dont yet see what the most basque solution would be
> > tho you may well have considered & resolved that already
> >

> > also
> > another bascocentric map
> > http://www.basque-red.net/eng/euskaeng/ehmoveng.htm
> > suggests a basque clavoscopy also might be added to our
> > basque punctoscopy
>

> The enclave situation for Iparralde is a bit blurred, because of
the
> fact that the three provinces haven't been used as
administrative
> units. Normally the municipality of Jestaze/Gestas is
considered to
> be an exclave of Zuberoa, but a couple of years ago I came
across a
> map that connected the municipality to main Zuberoa, however
without
> erasing the existing borders, i.e. the connection is left
> unincorporated... It surely is a mistake by the map makers.
> Furthermore is the municipality of Samatze/Sames sometimes
considered
> to be an exclave of Lower Navarre, in between Lapurdi
(Gixune/Guiche)
> and the Landes departement, but more often it is depicted as
lying in
> Lapurdi.
>
> Real en/exclaves can be found in the south: The municipality of
> Petilla de Aragón (two Navarrese exclaves within Zaragoza
province:
> one with the village, and another one called Los Baztanes de
> Petilla); Villaverde de Trucios (an exclave of Cantabria in
Biscay);
> the county of Treviño (two municipalities, Condado de Treviño
and La
> Puebla de Arganzon, that form an exclave of Burgos province in
> Araba); and Orduña, an exclave of Biscay bordering Araba and
Burgos.

> Petilla de Aragón is peculiar in another way: according to a
survey
> in 1996, it was one of only four Navarrese municipalities where
> nobody speaks Basque. Yet is one of the very few Navarrese
> municipalities having a mayor who is a member of the Basque
> nationalist party EAJ-PNV...

thanx
another tour de force
to which i cant add a cedilla

> > btw i think the eh diglyph is used for western sahara
>

> Probably reserved for them by Spain :-))

haha & i was already wondering who ever could have dreamt
this western sahara eh up & what it is supposed to stand for
anyway

espanol something might not be too far fetched
now that you mention it