Subject: Re: Natural disasters - shifting borders?
Date: Mar 08, 2003 @ 18:32
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

nice question victor
& i think the reason you are getting no direct answers to it is that
such a borderchanging earthquake has probably never come up in
practice
tho it is of course potential

& it hasnt come up i believe because most such changes must have been
either quite small or in remote areas or both

but if it ever did come up in a renegotiation or adjudication
my bets are that the territorial question would still be small to
minuscule
& that a change in the official boundary would occur only if a
boundary marker was displaced along with the lands

thus whether any marker moved or not
the definitive & prevailing boundary line would continue to jump
directly from preexistent boundary marker to preexistent boundary
marker

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Victor Cantore