Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Continent border
Date: Feb 24, 2003 @ 23:14
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

John,

>I was mistaken about how many countries there are on New Guinea. I
>thought there were three, but I think I may have been confused about two
>different divisions in PNG. Thus it is not where three separate countries meet.

New Guinea was originally divided into three entities administered by the
Netherlands, Germany and the UK. The UK portion was transferred to
Australia in 1902, who also annexed the German portion during WWI to form
the current state of Papua New Guinea.

In addition, there has recently been a civil war on the island of
Bougainville which was trying to secede from Papua New Guinea.

Incidentally, it would seem that Germany had a large presence in Oceania in
the late-nineteenth/early-twentieth century, but I've never really found
much information about this. Indeed, it would seem that few Germans are
even aware they were involved in the region in the past.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell