Subject: Re: Scandinavia, language trivia
Date: Feb 24, 2003 @ 23:14
Author: Karolis B. <kbajoraz@yahoo.com> ("Karolis B. <kbajoraz@...>" <kbajoraz@...>)

Which brings us to a similiar situation: the Baltic Countries. I
don't suppose anyone has any other idea of Baltic Countries than
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. But in ethnical view, the Balts are
Lithuanians and Latvians (also Prussians, which are not found as pure
elements anymore). Estonians are related to Fins. And there is no
geographic reason to join these countries. Even historical background
is different. While Estonia and Latvia were joined to Livonia by
German Teutonic knights and later belonged to all sorts of north
European countries, and also while Prussians were held by Teutonic
Knights, Lithuania remained free of foreign occupation and formed its
own state. I guess the unifying moment was when the three countries
adjacent to each other and of similiar size declared independent
republics from the ashes of Russian Empire at about the same time. I
also hear that before WW's the Baltic Countries used to mean
everything found on the eastern shore of the Baltic (I guess
everything non-Scandnavian). So, as you see, these situations are
rather complex :)

> Unfortunately there are no Swedish Estonians left on Dagö Is.
anymore.
> Everybody evacuated back to Sweden at World War II. Only some place
names
> remains after all those centuries with Swedish colonisation of the
Baltic