Subject: Re: Adios, Yugoslavia...
Date: Feb 06, 2003 @ 22:12
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "anorak222 <listen@w...>"
<jseelige@a...> wrote:
> > Thanks for the links. Does Montenegro speak any Romance language?
> It seems like a Latin name.
>
> It's Italian for "Black Mountain", but the local language is Slavic
considered a dialect of Serbo-Croatian. (Now, for political reasons,
all former "dialects" of S-C are considered "languages").

> The Italian name might have come from the Venetians who used to have
territories all over the Adriatic coasts. Italy is just round the
corner there anyway, having Italians names isn't so unusual in that
part of the world.

of course maestro you must be right
& it would have had to be something more like muntenegru in romanian

> > On the subject of the octo-point, are communes like states?
> > counties?
>
> Municipality. Could be a city, town, village, anything that has a
mayor. :)

i have noticed
tho i forget in which scandinavian countries
that the municipalities are in practical matters directly under the
provinces
meaning they are really tertiary entities

however there are sometimes regional entities mentioned
intermediate between the municipalities & provinces
that i believe have historical meaning but no present use

if these latter are allowed as politically real
then a scandinavian municipal multipoint might actually be quaternary
rather than tertiary

but i am surprised we havent heard directly from our finnish beepers
yet on this delicate question

on the other hand
making such distinctions might just be splitting hairs anyway tho

& expecting even anything remotely resembling general homogeneity
or comparability
compatibility
etc
in the various levels