Subject: Re: Hawaii
Date: Jan 27, 2003 @ 22:29
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Arif Samad
<fHoiberg@y...> wrote:

> Now Alaska and Hawaii are fragmented from the rest of
> USA but they are not fragmented themselves, though it
> could be argued for both.

i dont think i understand

how can you believe they arent fragmented themselves when
they both have maritime intervals that dwarf not only the 3 mile
limits of the states but even the 12 mile limits of the country

if these legal limits are observed
then not only are both ak & hi multi fragmented as states
but even the usa itself is fragmented at the largest of the breaks
in both of these states

but perhaps you are referring to the eezs
when you say it could be argued for both

all the eezs projecting from ak may very well be continuous
& i believe all those of the hawaiian chain are continuous too
but of course these are purely federal & not a part of the states
so i still dont see how these states could be unfragmented

> Some islands are far enough
> from other islands or mainland to be considered a
> fragment as some has mentioned it.

right & i think grant has called such things fragments
in his eez roundup
tho not in this context of territorial seas

here we have been talking about actual territorial exclaves
things just like kentucky bend & liberty & ellis islands
but interrupted by federal territory rather than that of another state

> Plus Tarr Inlet
> separated Hyder from the mainland to create a tongue
> though it's not really a fragment.

ok but you probably mean portland canal for hyder

tarr inlet is an upper southeast alaska fjord
where the resident glacier has receded all the way into canada
thus revealing an unexpected nw british columbia seacoast
which breaks the panhandle coastline into 2 parts

but i believe both of these fjord cases are simply land breaks &
not territorial breaks
& i gather that is the distinction you mean to make also

> Hawaii has many
> (tiny enough not to be called such) islands in a chain
> and Midway Island, not part of Hawaii, intrudes. I am
> pretty sure Midway is far enough from Hawaii that the
> territorial sea doesn't really connect.

that is my guess too
& many of these islands are similarly spaced out
suggesting there should be many such disconnections

> I have seen
> some atlases with theoretical boundaries where Midway
> Boundaries trend north thus connecting rest of Hawaii
> with Kure, the westernmost.

this i would like to see

we are talking about a hundred mile jump here

what kind of theoretical do you mean

perhaps those wacky allocational lines

but they arent really boundaries
& it is only actual boundaries that determine the topology

> More interestingly
> Honolulu County itself is fragmented as all the
> Northwestern Islands are part of the Honolulu County
> even though Nihau and Kauai, two islands between the
> Northwestern Island and Oahu, aren't.

that is interesting
remote administration
from the capital county seat

but county limits still cant extend beyond state limits
not to say federal limits

so i think there must actually be many oahu exclaves
in so far flung a chain
rather than just 1 or 2 gigantic ones
cartographical convenience to the contrary notwithstanding

& each of these oahu exclaves should also be a hawaii exclave
presumably fully coincident with it

the number of usa exclaves tho should be much smaller
since the federal limits are larger than the state & county ones
& thus might overlap some of the state & county exclaves

or at least that is what i think so far
but please advise of any further data or thoughts