Subject: Re: Northern Ireland (UK) -Republic Of Ireland Border
Date: Jan 27, 2003 @ 23:04
Author: rapidoeurope <rapidoeurope@yahoo.com> ("rapidoeurope <rapidoeurope@...>" <rapidoeurope@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@i...>
wrote:
> Great maps.
>
> I have read about the border straddling houses, but not where.
>
> Anybody?

There was a BBC documentary some months back concerning petrol
smuggling.

One part mentioned a large warehouse-sized shed on a farm in Ireland,
which was being conveniently used for illegal petrol and diesel
smuggling.

Although the story is irrelevant here, what's interesting is that the
shed was apparently divided between the Republic and the United
Kingdom.

The place may have been mentioned on the programme, but if it was,
I'm afraid I've made no record of the place... although County
Monaghan comes to mind.

-Duncan

PS Also interesting is that several pirate radio stations use Alien
Mountain, Co. Monaghan (right near the border) to transmit to Belfast
in the North.

Radio piracy in the UK leads to criminal records, fines, confiscation
of equipment and even gaol - in the Republic, you're lucky if you
ever get a warning from the police! It rarely happens!!!

Some of the stations such as Magic 105 and Energy 106 have massive
audiences, and of course the UK authorities can do nothing! Anyone
else know of other instances of pirate stations 'border-blasting'
anywhere else in the world?