Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: particular mexican spots
Date: Jan 24, 2003 @ 00:06
Author: John Seeliger ("John Seeliger" <jseelige@...>)

From: "Arif Samad" <fHoiberg@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 9:47 AM
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: particular mexican spots

> Since the point seems to have come up again, I have to
> say that I believe my list of Mexican quadripoints is
> quite thorough and there is only one. It has been in
> my site http://members.aol.com/marismits/LoclGeo.htm
> for some time. I have checked on a few sources
> including encyclopedias and atlases and all of them
> bust the other quadripoint tries convincingly except
> the one on my web page. The only maps which casts
> doubt on my quadripoint is the the maps-of-Mexico site
> and even that can be explained by way too fat
> boundaries.

I agree that the boundaries are quite fat on that map and it is difficult to
tell. Do you have any high-resolution maps on the web of the area that make
it clear that this is a quadripoint. I see it looks that way on most maps,
but I find on the web don't zoom in close enough to really tell.

http://mexicochannel.net/maps/nuevoleon_sct.jpg makes it appear that SLP and
Coahuila touch, but that zacatecas and Nuevo Leon don't (just the opposite
of the maps-of-mexico site), though it is hard to tell and this map doesn't
appear to to go into that much detail anyway.

> One of my sources, that does not really have clear
> maps but has OK boundaries, is
> http://plue.sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/plue/ddviewer/ddv30-USMEX/
> from Ciesin. This also shows the two other
> quadripoint tries that are close, but is not quiet
> quadripoints.
> Arif

Since Coahuila and NL are in the border zone and zacatecas and SLP are in
the Northern Mexico zone, I can't see them both at the same time.
John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
jseelige@... <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>
jseelige@...