Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Enclaves/exclave classes
Date: Jan 06, 2003 @ 08:17
Author: Jan S. Krogh ("Jan S. Krogh" <jan.krogh@...>)

Arif,

It would be fine if we as a "fellowship" as much as possible could use the same terms and definitions about the different of geographical areas.

Rolf seems during the last months to have made some redefinitions as I unfortunately have not been aware of. He is now concentrating his efforts about what he earlier called type III exclaves/enclaves. His new definition is not e.g. clearly stating if "Kaliningrad/Alaska class" areas are exclaves or not.

You are not mentioning the word "exclave" at all, even if you are referring to Rolf's description, and below I understand your definitions like you in fact do not completely agree with him ;-)  ?

Rolf is saying that "An enclave is a geographical territory which is completely surrounded by foreign territory". Maybe my English is not too strong, but does this clearly mean that he is talking about one single country's territory or only land territory?

Mike wants to use the term "clave". This noun I cannot find in my Webster. (The Norwegian (Scandinavian) word "klave" (animal) means "collar; neck yoke", ref. "enklave"/"eksklave" and could therefore create confusions as a new term.)

I am not against your idea in general. They seems to be a good step further as I cannot remember to have seen any better arrangement of these terms before. But maybe we would get one step further if we learnt what kind of professional terms are used among scientists or geographists? (Brendan?) Otherwise your definitions should maybe be a little better described in order to avoid misunderstandings.

Rolf's definition:

«An enclave is a geographical territory which is completely surrounded by foreign territory. Such a territory is called an enclave only in respect to the surrounding foreign territory and an exclave in respect to the territory to which it is politically attached.

Below is a list of all current enclaves/exclaves that I know of, arranged alphabetically according to the country to which they are politically attached.

Excluded from the list are

Jan