Subject: Re: The Phantom Quad-point at Arkansas – Kansas – Missouri – Oklahoma
Date: Dec 09, 2002 @ 16:44
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v005/v005p287.html
tho also inconclusive is interesting in that it tells a slightly
different story & shows a radically different historical diagram of
oklahoma than bus&ss
yet also suggests that armook may have been a quadripoint
albeit thru an entirely different course of events

so my bafflement & curiosity about this point only multiply

but also
figs 27 34 35 etc in bus&ss likewise show that coksne & nesdwy
& perhaps other points may have enjoyed similar episodes of
phantom quadripuncture
but they are progressively more difficult to follow & fully
comprehend
in case any further bafflement is ever desired

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002
<orc@o...>" <orc@o...> wrote:
> ahh i can see now
> so a major thanx to you too bill
>
> & jack i read you loud & clear on all points except the last part
of
> your conclusion
> & i especially have no difficulty in agreeing that figure 28 must
be
> unhistorical
> particularly by invoking the name of kansas at such a low
latitude
> but please note that the same quadrijunction by whatever
name
> we may want to call it is also shown in figure 27
> so the myth or illusion of a quadripoint there by some name is
at
> least persistent
>
> & i wish there were some way of showing these figures so
> everyone could get the picture
>
> but anyway
> on further comparison of these maps i can see that indian
> country was first created within the area of modern ok in 1824
> & then enlarged in 1828 again entirely within modern ok
> but then enlarged again in 1834 all the way up to canada
> when missouri territory was broken in 2 & distributed
> into michigan territory & indian country respectively
> if the maps & i have all that right
>
> it is still unclear to me whether the name & reality of missouri
> territory persisted after it devolved into indian country in 1834
>
> perhaps both names were used interchangeably between
1834
> & 1854
> i just dont know
>
> like do we know for a fact that when kansas & nebraska were
> formed in 1854 it was from missouri territory per se rather than
> from indian country
> as shown in figure 27
>
> if so the phantom quadripoint may have persisted til 1854 or
> even later
>
> but in any case it still seems to me that there must have been
> quadripoint at armook from 1828 til at least 1834
> comprising
> the state of missouri to the northeast
> arkansaw territory to the southeast
> indian country to the southwest &
> missouri territory & not kansas to the northwest
> at least until the lines & dates as shown on the bus&ss maps
&
> explained in text are confuted by better data
> which i will continue to seek
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hanrahan
> <hanrahan@k...>" <hanrahan@k...> wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > Here's a reprint of Jack's word attachment:
> >
> > The Phantom Quad-point at Arkansas – Kansas – Missouri –
> Oklahoma
> >
> > With reference to Michael's comments in BoundaryPoint
> message #8238
> > as copied below:
> >
> > there must have been a great many such ghost tripoints that
> never
> > became tristate points &or changed their names or
> compositions in the
> > process
> > my favorite is the original armook point
> > which according to fig 28 in bus&ss
> > was actually a sort of arksmook quadriterritorial point
> > for lack of a more recognizably contemporary name
> >
> > I can't find an explanation for Fig. 28 in bus&ss
> > labeled, "Historical diagram of Arkansas," which shows an
> apparent
> > arksmook quad-point. In my opinion Fig. 28 should have
been
> > labeled, "Unhistorical diagram of Arkansas."
> >
> > In the early days all of the boundaries were established by
> acts
> > of Congress and probably drawn on a map in Washington. If
> we consider
> > the sequence of events, I think it becomes apparent that the
> southern
> > boundary of Kansas was never at 36d 30' N.
> >
> > In 1812, the Territory of Louisiana was renamed Territory
of
> > Missouri and included all of the original Louisiana Purchase
> except
> > the State of Louisiana.
> >
> > Missouri was declared a State in 1821 with the major part
of
> the
> > south boundary at 36d 30'N and the west boundary at approx.
> 94d 37'W.
> >
> > Arkansaw Territory was formed in 1819 from part of
Missouri
> > Territory with the north boundary at 36d 30'N. Later the
> spelling,
> > but not the pronunciation, was changed to Arkansas and it
> became a
> > State in 1836.
> >
> > Kansas Territory was organized in 1854 from a part of
> Missouri
> > Territory with its southern boundary beginning at a point on
the
> > western boundary of the State of Missouri where the 37th
> parallel of
> > north latitude crosses the same. Kansas was admitted to
the
> Union in
> > 1861 with its present boundaries.
> >
> > Oklahoma Territory was organized in 1890 from the
western
> part
> > of the Indian Territory. The boundaries of Oklahoma + Indian
> > Territories were for the most part set by the already
> established
> > boundaries of the States of Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas,
> Missouri and
> > Texas. The western boundary of the Public Land Strip was
set
> at the
> > Cimarron meridian. The rights of the Indians were
> extinguished in
> > 1891 and the two territories combined and admitted to the
> Union in
> > 1907 as the State of Oklahoma.
> >
> > In Albert White's book, "Initial Points of the Rectangular
> > Survey System", it states that Congress authorized the survey
> of the
> > southern boundary of Kansas from the State of Missouri to
the
> > Territory of New Mexico at the 103rd meridian by act of July 8,
> > 1856. By this time Missouri and Arkansas were already
States
> with
> > established boundaries. The act of 1856 was implemented
in
> 1857 when
> > the southern boundary of Kansas Territory was surveyed on
> the 37th
> > parallel by a party under the command of Lt. Col.
> > Joseph E. Johnston of the U. S. Army. John H. Clark was the
> > astronomer and he measured west along the 37th parallel
> 462.71 miles
> > and set a monument calculated to be on 103d 00'W.
longitude.
> This
> > became known as the "Johnston Monument." This was the
first
> field
> > survey along the 37th parallel from Missouri.
> >
> > See BoundaryPoint message #7929 for more details on this
> and
> > subsequent surveys which ultimately established the
junction