Subject: Re: NH/Vt
Date: Dec 09, 2002 @ 17:50
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

for your friends info
& with a salute for the goods
gore is a standard term evidently only in nh & vt
or at least nowhere else i have ever heard of
& this is probably owing to their famous interstate gore at vtne

it is used more in textile manufacturing than geography tho
for any such flaplike doodle

a similarly triangular proruption occurs at western maryland
elsewhere in the appellation mountains
where it is called simply western maryland
with nonchalance probably due to the already incredible shape
of the rest of maryland
where they probably didnt even think it was strange enough to
need a special name

also in northwest british columbia
where i think they also dont yet have a special name for it
because they probably havent yet even discovered its existence
somewhere behind an inaccessible glacier

& do you suppose your friend means claves when he says
stand alone areas
for that would be awesome wouldnt it

a minor league but just as exuberant bengal of the north woods
dangerous only during hunting season
if they existed in such large numbers as he suggests
or what do you think this means

could a stand alone walk about be far behind

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, b.whyte@p... wrote:
> The following is ust in from a friend. Thought it might be of
interest.

> There's lots of evidence of map screw ups around here. New
Hampshire and
> Vermont both have a fair number of what we call gores (I don't
know if that's a
> standard term or not). They are places that aren't in any of the
towns. When
> the old "20 paces from the old oak to the stone wall, then
straight to the red
> mill" kind of boundaries were turned into something more
concrete they ended up
> missing some spots. The most recent one was found only
about a decade ago when
> someone contested his tax bill. They surveyed and found out
he wasn't in
> either of the two towns! Of course they quickly put him in one,
can't have
> someone avoiding taxes, but some of them are large enough
that they've been