Subject: Re: The Phantom Quad-point at Arkansas – Kansas – Missouri – Oklahoma
Date: Dec 09, 2002 @ 06:32
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

ahh i can see now
so a major thanx to you too bill

& jack i read you loud & clear on all points except the last part of
your conclusion
& i especially have no difficulty in agreeing that figure 28 must be
unhistorical
particularly by invoking the name of kansas at such a low latitude
but please note that the same quadrijunction by whatever name
we may want to call it is also shown in figure 27
so the myth or illusion of a quadripoint there by some name is at
least persistent

& i wish there were some way of showing these figures so
everyone could get the picture

but anyway
on further comparison of these maps i can see that indian
country was first created within the area of modern ok in 1824
& then enlarged in 1828 again entirely within modern ok
but then enlarged again in 1834 all the way up to canada
when missouri territory was broken in 2 & distributed
into michigan territory & indian country respectively
if the maps & i have all that right

it is still unclear to me whether the name & reality of missouri
territory persisted after it devolved into indian country in 1834

perhaps both names were used interchangeably between 1834
& 1854
i just dont know

like do we know for a fact that when kansas & nebraska were
formed in 1854 it was from missouri territory per se rather than
from indian country
as shown in figure 27

if so the phantom quadripoint may have persisted til 1854 or
even later

but in any case it still seems to me that there must have been a
quadripoint at armook from 1828 til at least 1834
comprising
the state of missouri to the northeast
arkansaw territory to the southeast
indian country to the southwest &
missouri territory & not kansas to the northwest
at least until the lines & dates as shown on the bus&ss maps &
explained in text are confuted by better data
which i will continue to seek

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hanrahan
<hanrahan@k...>" <hanrahan@k...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Here's a reprint of Jack's word attachment:
>
> The Phantom Quad-point at Arkansas – Kansas – Missouri –
Oklahoma

> With reference to Michael's comments in BoundaryPoint
message #8238
> as copied below:
>
> there must have been a great many such ghost tripoints that
never
> became tristate points &or changed their names or
compositions in the
> process
> my favorite is the original armook point
> which according to fig 28 in bus&ss
> was actually a sort of arksmook quadriterritorial point
> for lack of a more recognizably contemporary name
>
> I can't find an explanation for Fig. 28 in bus&ss
> labeled, "Historical diagram of Arkansas," which shows an
apparent
> arksmook quad-point. In my opinion Fig. 28 should have been
> labeled, "Unhistorical diagram of Arkansas."
>
> In the early days all of the boundaries were established by
acts
> of Congress and probably drawn on a map in Washington. If
we consider
> the sequence of events, I think it becomes apparent that the
southern
> boundary of Kansas was never at 36d 30' N.
>
> In 1812, the Territory of Louisiana was renamed Territory of
> Missouri and included all of the original Louisiana Purchase
except
> the State of Louisiana.
>
> Missouri was declared a State in 1821 with the major part of
the
> south boundary at 36d 30'N and the west boundary at approx.
94d 37'W.

> Arkansaw Territory was formed in 1819 from part of Missouri
> Territory with the north boundary at 36d 30'N. Later the
spelling,
> but not the pronunciation, was changed to Arkansas and it
became a
> State in 1836.
>
> Kansas Territory was organized in 1854 from a part of
Missouri
> Territory with its southern boundary beginning at a point on the
> western boundary of the State of Missouri where the 37th
parallel of
> north latitude crosses the same. Kansas was admitted to the
Union in
> 1861 with its present boundaries.
>
> Oklahoma Territory was organized in 1890 from the western
part
> of the Indian Territory. The boundaries of Oklahoma + Indian
> Territories were for the most part set by the already
established
> boundaries of the States of Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas,
Missouri and
> Texas. The western boundary of the Public Land Strip was set
at the
> Cimarron meridian. The rights of the Indians were
extinguished in
> 1891 and the two territories combined and admitted to the
Union in
> 1907 as the State of Oklahoma.
>
> In Albert White's book, "Initial Points of the Rectangular
> Survey System", it states that Congress authorized the survey
of the
> southern boundary of Kansas from the State of Missouri to the
> Territory of New Mexico at the 103rd meridian by act of July 8,
> 1856. By this time Missouri and Arkansas were already States
with
> established boundaries. The act of 1856 was implemented in
1857 when
> the southern boundary of Kansas Territory was surveyed on
the 37th
> parallel by a party under the command of Lt. Col.
> Joseph E. Johnston of the U. S. Army. John H. Clark was the
> astronomer and he measured west along the 37th parallel
462.71 miles
> and set a monument calculated to be on 103d 00'W. longitude.
This
> became known as the "Johnston Monument." This was the first
field
> survey along the 37th parallel from Missouri.
>
> See BoundaryPoint message #7929 for more details on this
and