Subject: Fw: [BoundaryPoint] Re: St Pierre et Miquelon
Date: Dec 06, 2002 @ 11:30
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:
> i dont think we have a good enough map yet to get a reliable
> answer by just taking the turning point data & drawing the lines
>
> but i did at least review the data once again & finally noticed
that
> the cafr line touches not just one but 2 of these little green
islets
> yikes
> check it out
> both points 4 & 5 make separate landfalls on different islets
>
> one is on the enfant perdu as shown on your first attachment
> & the other is the unnamed southwesternmost islet
> possibly also shown there but not clearly identifiable as such

It is a bit confusing that in the 1972 (not 1974, as I wrote earlier
on) text there are two "lost children": the one with the article
which belongs to France, and the one without the article belonging to
Canada. Turning point 4 is on the low water line of the Canadian
island.

> but again the angles of the turns & the shapes & positions of the
> islets are such that it is almost inconceivable for there not to be
> at least a tiny land boundary on at least one if not both of these
> islets

Yes, I think I agree. I was hesitant to say so, though, because one
island (the Canadian Enfant Perdu), having turning point 4 on its low
water line, is designated as being Canadian without any further
clarification. If Enfant Perdu is, however, cut by one or two
boundary lines, it wouldn't be Canadian in its entirety. A bit sloppy
for a treaty text, in my humble opinion. I wonder whether there were
maps attached to this treaty that cancel this out (perhaps this
Canadian chart that is mentioned).

It is highly improbable that any points are marked. We'll just have
to wait until "something" happens on the "disputed" territories and
see which authorities will react... :-)

Something else: the boundary is supposed to be between "the
territorial waters of Canada and the zones submitted to the fishery
jurisdiction of France". Why is there no talk of territorial waters
of France here? Is this because in 1972 France hadn't defined its
terr. waters around Saint Pierre & Miquelon yet? Or is there another
reason?

Peter S.