Subject: Re: SV: [BoundaryPoint] UAE Internal Borders
Date: Dec 01, 2002 @ 08:00
Author: I M Naanu ("I M Naanu" <imnaanu@...>)

acroorca2002:
Amazing exercise this punctography of UAE internal & External
borders. Wonder how!

I agree with Arif and it confirms Joachim Duester's (aka 'JD') own
views concerning boundaries. JD was also of the opinion that borders
were often vague- "Over there..- or that faraway hill..." and was
decided more on allegiance to a particular tribe or a Sheikh....
Often borders would change frequently as allegiances shifted.

I think I had asked JD about the mechanics of governance of the om-ae
area, but I received any answer.

> add these to the 2 proper tricountry points of the uae
> aeomsa & aeqasa

The Ae-Qa border is, I think under dispute. Some say a short, 19km
ae-qa border exists, some say not. From practical experience, my
company trucks going regularly to and fro between qa & ae have to
pass through sa border controls before reaching qa border & customs.

If you could confirm this from the qa or sa side, it would be
wonderful.

The om-ae-sa tripoint is called Umm-Az-ZumUl and it's a harsh and
arid place in the northern part of Rub-al-Khali proper. Apparently, 4-
WD vehicles make trips to this place to see the salt flats as well as
a deep water well over here.
JD had told me that its a beautiful place and advised me to see it
for myself. Having followed his advice for the Madha border post so
close to the Khorfakkan-Fujairah road, I have no doubt any expedition
to this area will be rewarding in exclusivity.

A road from Umm-az-ZumUl leads north to Al'Ain following the ae-om
border. Al'Ain is another bi-national town, with the border going
right through town. (More Pics!!!)

> since i dont yet know whether madha is considered mu or mt
> but the extra distinction is clarifying anyway

Madha belongs to Wilayat Musandam. Source- JD

> but of all these 13 the most interesting one to my thinking
> remains aeom2fumush in the uniquely trisovereign town of
> dibba

This is indeed, as you rightly meant, 'delicious'. Can't wait!

Bye,
IMN