Subject: Re: SV: [BoundaryPoint] UAE Internal Borders
Date: Dec 01, 2002 @ 00:35
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

yes naanu this first map from christian here does substantially
corroborate your map from message 8054
at least well enough to permit a first serious try at collecting all
the international tripoints of the uae
tho i think the internal ones should wait til we get a more detailed
& definitive government map
if indeed one even exists

& i am all the more reluctant to forge ahead with a complete
internal punctoscopy of the uae
gratifying as that would be
because i have my doubts based on your reports thus far that
very many of these internal boundaries are anywhere near so
well defined & well marked as the first one you showed us with
that long line of low posts
along dush the dubai sharjah line if i remember correctly

also i recall arif mentioning that islamic boundaries are often
rather fuzzy on the ground since they reflect tax hierarchy more
than territorial separation per se as in the west
so i think it might be foolish to expect many very crisp lines here
just as foolish as expecting all the maps to agree any better than
they actually do

all of which considerations promise to make trypointing within
the uae very challenging indeed if not practically impossible
or wouldnt you agree

however i do think i would like to be foolish enough to rush into
inventorying at least the international ones
since they all seem rather straightforward on both maps
even if they were to prove as hard to find on the ground as the
similarly fuzzy mexican interstate international tripoints
to mention a particularly elusive example

but a greater inducement for wanting to proceed with this
international punctoscopy is just to highlight that delicious
looking little area of joint ajmani omani administration

now the domestic fush condo of yours is interesting enough
but this international aeom condo is positively world class & of
the rare type such as we have seen before only along delu & esfr
& in the gulf of fonseca & perhaps only 1 or 2 other places in the
world

evidently it produces 2 condo tripoints
aeaeomomn & aeaeomoms

add these to the 2 proper tricountry points of the uae
aeomsa & aeqasa
& youve got 4 major targets requiring probably 3 separate major
expeditions
but probably without ever having to cross formally any
international border
a distinction which might make uaeers the envy of most north
american try pointers

but in addition the uae appears like most countries to have
numerous binational tripoints
apparently totalling 13 in number
all of which are shared with oman
& curiously none with saudi arabia or qatar
if i am not mistaken
tho i still do need to double check from the saudi & qatari sides

no fewer that 6 of these 13 comprise the subset aeom2fush
namely fumush fumdshe fumdshw fumtshn fumtshm & fumtshs
proceeding generally from north to south
& adopting mu for musandam
mt for muscat
& md for madha at least temporarily
since i dont yet know whether madha is considered mu or mt
but the extra distinction is clarifying anyway

the remaining 7
rafumu fumtra dumtra ajdumt ajmtra mtrash & abmtsh
again proceeding generally north to south
include 2 more fujairahs & 2 more sharjahs
bringing the individual totals for these emirates up to 8 each
& piling on 4 ras al khaimas & 2 dubais

viewed from the omani side these 13 comprise
2 musandams proper
2 madhas &
9 muscats proper

but of all these 13 the most interesting one to my thinking
remains aeom2fumush in the uniquely trisovereign town of
dibba

so there you have 17 international tripoints in all
not all of them entirely promising
but including 4 majors plus 1 special case as premium targets
which i think many of us here might like to get closer looks at
if you are ever in the right neighborhoods

vis tecum

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "I M Naanu" <imnaanu@y...> wrote:
> Christian,
> Thanks for the Wonderful maps. That site is indeed good and I
had
> also seen some maps of Pre-Independence India- Its worth
seeing the
> number of enclaves and exclaves that were present.
Stupendous.
> Thanks a lot for the maps again. I have some historical
material
> concerning Kalba and Dibba which tries to explain the reasons
why
> they were separate emirates then.
> -IMN
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Christian Berghänel
> <christian.berghanel@s...> wrote:

UAE-
> Please note:
> >

> > I've got a map which is basically the same as you sent, just
bigger
> and colourized.
> > I'm also posting two historical maps.
> >
> > Please note on the 1936 - present map: Madha is indicated
as
> jointly Omani/Sharjah.
> >
> > On 1866-1935 map: Dibba and Kalba were separate
emirates.

> > On 1820-1865 map: Ras al-Khaimah and Fujeirah did not
excist.