Subject: Re: Berlin maps - Steinstuecken with NoMansLand
Date: Nov 08, 2002 @ 11:26
Author: Wolfgang Pietsch (Wolfgang Pietsch <wpi@berlin.snafu.de>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

> Jesper Nielsen wrote on Thu, 7 Nov 2002 06:11:02 +0100:
>
> I have never seen a Berlin map showing both the border and and the
> wall (incuding "nomansland").

This might be a good source,
"Dokumentation der Landesgrenze der Länder Berlin und Brandenburg"
(Documentation of Federal State Boundary Berlin and Brandenburg)
issued 1996 by "Senatsverwaltung für Inneres Berlin" and "Ministerium
des Innern Potsdam". This is a legal document to fix the boundary,
respecting all changes after 1920 foundation of Greater Berlin Area,
the Allied terr. exchanges, the 1971-88 exchanges, city development
in East-Berlin fixed 1990. It's a composition of "Karte von Berlin
1:4000" and "Topographischer Stadtplan 1:10000 (Ausgabe Staat)"
in 81 (!) maps. That 2nd contribution by Brandenburg "(Edition State)"
looks like old East German military maps. All old border patrol pathes
are included. For your pleasure I attached the Steinstuecken area map,
compare it with aerial photograps seen earlier.

Perhaps you should ask http://www.Berlin.de/seninn/index.html
if interested in the complete document. The boundary of W/E-Berlin
is of course not subject of those maps.

Back to Steinstuecken, look at the heavily discussed bridge along
Stahnsdorfer Str. Earlier mentioned Dieter Schroeder wrote in his
article, in 1971 the GDR was not willing to accept West-Berlin rights
over any railway territory and was not willing to exchange those few
sqaremeters under the bridge. So they left the railway line and
above airspace with GDR, bridge and airspace above became West-Berlin.
AFAIK this is Status Quo, replace GDR with Brandenburg.

For your next excursion ... ;-) Have a look at the upper right corner
of the map (Stubenrauchstr.) . This has been inhabitated before 1990,
no NoMansLand there, and the border to West-Berlin nearly touched
the street at # 25 (the boundary corner). That single West Berlin
house at Stubenrauchstraße must also have been inhabitated before
with access somewhere from Neue Kreisstr. Today you can see the old
East German boundary stone marking the corner just between house and
street in their garden. Can't imagine how the wall was running there.
And it looks like that house is cut by the border at all ...

Regards Wolfgang P.