Subject: Re: CAUS - #19
Date: Nov 08, 2002 @ 12:32
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Victor

> hmmmm this photo brings up a question that i have had
> for a while and mike you seem like the person who
> would know the answer

yikes i dont know
but heres my guess

in general when fences or walls etc straddle a boundary
it probably indicates that they are bilateral creations
just like boundary markers

but if the fences are unilateral constructions
they are typically set back just enough to avoid any possible
objection from the neighboring party
so in that case their purpose is just containment rather than
demarcation

i think your idea that there is always a buffer of a foot or 2
tho based on plenty of experience
may be too much of an extrapolation

as you know
on mxus there is often but not always the wall
which obviously is unilateral
& so it is set back slightly within the usa

& on caus there is often but not always the bilateral clearcut
& there are laws in both countries against new construction of
any kind within the critical area
pursuant to international agreement

so there does appear to be something like a zoning restriction
upon at least the narrow strip of private property that abuts caus
but i dont imagine the property itself is diminished by any of this
even if its functionality is slightly reduced

& i would bet the authorities dont ask permission if they access
the monuments by walking along the boundary
particularly in the clearcut areas
which is probably their easiest way to go anyway