Subject: Re: US Border Controls and Canada -- an editorial
Date: Nov 07, 2002 @ 18:51
Author: averillhecht ("averillhecht" <alhecht@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Karolis B" <kbajoras@y...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray" <doug@d...> wrote:
> > It's such a weird issue... on one side, the border defines two
> sovereign nations -- who must look out for themselves and protect
> their citizens. On the other side, the similarities between Canada
> and the US are probably unlike any other neighbours. But we are 2
> different countries, and I guess we should act like it.
> >
> > When I go to the US, I don't feel like a foreigner -- the
language,
> food, entertainment, cars, people, etc. are all the same. And I
know
> I'm not a Finn. (inside joke) But I am a foreigner. And, I reckon,
> should be treated like all other aliens entering a sovereign
nation.
> Of course, I say that as a white, English speaking male. I'm sure
if
> I were racially profiled and fingerprinted every time I crossed the
> border, I would make fewer trips to Seattle for baseball and Krispy
> Kremes.
> >
> > I still think things were better back in the days of the cold
war.
> *grin*
> >
> > Doug
> >

> > I allow myself a wry smile when I hear this argument. As you may
be
> aware,
> > the UK refused to join the Schengen Area citing the same reasons,
> yet any
> > regular traveller knows you can fly into certain regional
airports
> after
> > the passport and customs people have gone home. Even at London
> Heathrow,
> > it's rare to find any customs officers in attendance after about
> 8.00 PM.
> >
> > I know the UK authorities will argue that they have limited
> resources and
> > prefer to target high-risk flights, but that only validates my
> point even
> > more. They clearly don't consider flights from other EU/EEA
> countries to be
> > a high risk, so why keep up the pretence that border controls are
> necessary
> > to protect the nation? They serve only to inconvenience the vast
> majority
> > of legitimate travellers.
> >
> > Incidentally, I wonder how many people would tolerate border
> controls
> > between the US states or Canadian provinces ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Kevin Meynell
>
> No strong opinion on the main issue, but I can say, Doug, Krispy
> Kreme is worth racial profiling at the border! oooo, idea, idea!
give
> every profiled Arab a box of Krispy Kreme and they will WANT to be
> profiled!

Personally, I like Tim Horton's myself. Whenever I go to Canada,
that's one of the things I look forward to. But back to point.
What's wrong is you are absolutely right, and so am I. And that is
the rub.

Yes we are two separate political and sovereign nations. And yes, we
both have a right to decide how we defend that border, and yes, the
one of two things that delineates any international border is a
legally defined and internationally respected boundary. The other
being the ability to print money. I just have a great respect for
Canadians and Canada in general, and as admittedly idealistic as I
am, I feel Canadians should be given special treatment in entering
the US; just as I feel US Citizens should enjoy the same going into
Canada.

So, what to do? I still say if we can gin up our North American
border defenses, I.E. stopping these animals from getting in the
first place, and picking up the ones already here, I, as a law
abiding citizen, would like to enjoy a border with the minimum of
delays, and hassles. But just as me.

Just a postscript. The Quebecker that was arrester should not be
band from the US just because of petty vandalism from years back.
While I might agree, he might deserve to put in the poky for a few
months for stupidity, as far as the rifle is concerned, remember, he
bought the gas and turned around to go back to Canada. He did not
continue on into the US. I don't know how the Border Patrol was able
to stop him in the first place. If the gas station is only a few
meters from the line, he should have been across it before they would
have the chance. And this in a country where I can legally buy a
semi automatic assault rifle

Averill