Subject: Re: US Border Controls and Canada -- an editorial
Date: Nov 07, 2002 @ 02:51
Author: Karolis B ("Karolis B" <kbajoras@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray" <doug@d...> wrote:
> It's such a weird issue... on one side, the border defines two
sovereign nations -- who must look out for themselves and protect
their citizens. On the other side, the similarities between Canada
and the US are probably unlike any other neighbours. But we are 2
different countries, and I guess we should act like it.

> When I go to the US, I don't feel like a foreigner -- the language,
food, entertainment, cars, people, etc. are all the same. And I know
I'm not a Finn. (inside joke) But I am a foreigner. And, I reckon, I
should be treated like all other aliens entering a sovereign nation.
Of course, I say that as a white, English speaking male. I'm sure if
I were racially profiled and fingerprinted every time I crossed the
border, I would make fewer trips to Seattle for baseball and Krispy
Kremes.

> I still think things were better back in the days of the cold war.
*grin*

> Doug
>

> I allow myself a wry smile when I hear this argument. As you may be
aware,
> the UK refused to join the Schengen Area citing the same reasons,
yet any
> regular traveller knows you can fly into certain regional airports
after
> the passport and customs people have gone home. Even at London
Heathrow,
> it's rare to find any customs officers in attendance after about
8.00 PM.

> I know the UK authorities will argue that they have limited
resources and
> prefer to target high-risk flights, but that only validates my
point even
> more. They clearly don't consider flights from other EU/EEA
countries to be
> a high risk, so why keep up the pretence that border controls are
necessary
> to protect the nation? They serve only to inconvenience the vast
majority
> of legitimate travellers.
>
> Incidentally, I wonder how many people would tolerate border
controls
> between the US states or Canadian provinces ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Kevin Meynell

No strong opinion on the main issue, but I can say, Doug, Krispy
Kreme is worth racial profiling at the border! oooo, idea, idea! give
every profiled Arab a box of Krispy Kreme and they will WANT to be
profiled!