Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Visa Waiver Program
Date: Nov 07, 2002 @ 11:03
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Karolis,

>I see what you're saying about Greece. What I don't get is how they got
>into EU in the first place.

I don't wish to offend any Greek people on this list, but even veteran EU
officials will tell you that it's a mystery how Greece managed to negotiate
entry at such an early stage (1981). It is especially baffling when you
consider the hoops the proposed new EU states must jump through to join. In
fairness though, Greece has made massive strides over the past twenty years
and I think has proved to be an asset to the EU.

>how did then Norway and Ireland get into VWP with their handwritten!
>passports? And how is UK in the program

The criteria may have been different in the past. In the case of the UK, we
weren't included in the WVP until around 1990-1991, and our government was
none to happy about it, especially as US citizens didn't need visas to
enter the UK. Around that time, I seem to remember hearing that a number of
European countries were collectively putting diplomatic pressure on the US
to remove visa requirements for their citizens, with the threat of
reciprocation if the WVP wasn't extended to them.

>And how is UK in the program, they don't ensure thorough control of their
>borders

I think you'll find that it's little different in most of the EU countries.
However, you have confirmed my earlier point why the argument against the
UK joining Schengen is such a ridiculous one.

>Well, I'm not saying these countries shouldn't be in VWP, they certainly
>should

I don't know about the other countries, but the continued use of Diego
Garcia is a wonderful argument in favour of keeping your friends happy ;-)

Regards,

Kevin Meynell