Subject: Re: Berlin - Soviet "enclaves" (was: Former Seeburg enclave ...)
Date: Nov 07, 2002 @ 05:05
Author: Wolfgang Pietsch ("Wolfgang Pietsch" <wpi@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:

> With respect to "Berlin not only had exclaves, there was 1 enclave",
> what do you consider the status of the Soviet memorial was during the
> occupation - part of the Soviet Zone enclaved in the western zones,
> or a piece of the western zones over which the soviets merely
> exercized sovereignty without possessing territorial sovereignty?
> What is it's status now - I noticed that the russian guards are gone.
>
> Regards
>
> Len Nadybal

This was strictly outside Berlin administrative authority.
It was not considered as en enclave of Berlin-Mitte (Sov.sect.) inside
Berlin-Tiergarten (Brit.sect.). On maps it was not shown as territorial
exclude. But this has been handled on an "Allied Layer". Sources often
spoke of a Soviet enclave inside British sector, Soviets acquired full
sovereignity and the Western Allied respected that. Status of the
memorial was like a diplomatic mission (my opinion).

The Soviets handed over the memorial to the Federal Republic of
Germany on Dec. 22, 1990. Since then the guards have left.
It's open to the public today and cared by a Berlin owned company.
( http://www.gruen-berlin.de/projekte/tiergart.htm (German) )

Another example was the Radio Station Building "Haus des Rundfunks"
located in British sector, occupied by the Soviets and handed over to
East German Radio operators (Berliner Rundfunk). After the East German
occupation of Steinstuecken in 1951, the British began to deny Soviet
rights over that building. British MP cordoned off the building,
allowed everybody to leave but nobody (German) to enter.
Berliner Rundfunk then continued to operate from East-Berlin but the
building stayed under Soviet occupation until 1956 when it was handed
over to the West after demounting technical equipment and transfer of
the large record archive to East-Berlin.

The British Soviet terr. exch. in 1945 (Gatow airfield, West-Staaken)
was first separated from German administration except police authority.
Inhabitants of West-Staaken (to Soviet zone) remained under adminis-
tration of Berlin-Spandau (Passports, Food admin. (!), Taxes), inhabi-
tants of Weinmeisterhoehe (to British sect.) remained in Seeburg and
were first not considered as Berliners. The Berlin City Boundary of
1920 was still drawn in later maps, even after 1958 when the Allied
Boundaries became respected as City Boundaries and f.e. the people
of Weinmeisterhoehe took first part in West-Berlin elections.

Regards Wolfgang P.