Subject: Re: Canadian Arrested at US Border - Why?
Date: Nov 01, 2002 @ 14:14
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:

> This makes no sense

thats perfectly ok
& thanx for the heads up

> - one can export from the USA practically whatever
> one wants. What law in the US says one must tell customs
one is
> exporting a tankfull of gas?

right exactly
this nonevent was definitely not about exports

good try tho
since it had to be about something

however maybe it was really about what it was actually about
namely
unheeded advance warnings of policy change
repeated border transgressions anyway
plus
a high powered weapons violation in time of highest paranoia
gallic insouciance meeting yanko officiousness
etc etc

> Was he really arrested for the
> ancillary charges mentioned and is using the gas as a reason,
when it
> really isn't?

what ancillary charges were mentioned
& who is using the gas as a reason for what

i dont know where you got all this
or did you catch that tv movie i missed

> Maybe he was really just arrested for entering the US
> and not having gone to immigration (as opposed to customs).

good thinking here
since customs doesnt monitor exports
aha
just as immigration doesnt monitor emigration

& you check in to both customs & immigration simultaneously
whenever you enter these countries by car
& are usually interviewed & cleared by a single officer
but naturally no checkout is required when you leave

> Is this little area of the US between the border and the customs
house
> a "tax free zone" within which no tax on gas is charged, and
perhaps
> there is a tax issue?

nope
full tax is charged except on indian reservations
but it is still way cheaper than canadian gas
so no issue there

> I cannot believe US customs would so negatively impinge on
an American
> entrepreneur's market by scaring customers away. Customs
is in
> business to protect American commerce, not to strangle sales
at a gas
> station of an unrationed, uncontrolled product.

believe it
customs is in business to enforce certain laws
but the laws are what protect the commerce

customs itself has no interest in commerce
since that would be a conflict of interest

> If gas tax was
> charged in this little zone, scaring Canadians away from
tanking up
> only hurts the State's tax income - and if I were a state official,
> I'd ask in Washington about what in the world a federal official
was
> doing damaging a sovereign states' interest like that (if it's
true).

gas tax is charged
but that doesnt scare anybody

nor was there any damage
except in your imagination

but i agree the article is tilted

> I have a sneaking suspicion that there's something more to
this than
> the article reveals, or the article is tilted.
>
> Regards
> Len Nadybal
>
> Len Nadybal

& thanx also to asher for his rant