Subject: Re: Re-run, Berlin exclaves
Date: Oct 14, 2002 @ 14:52
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Wolfgang Pietsch wrote:

> Have fun !

Having loads of it!!

> Maybe anyone of you native English speakers understanding
> German can translate #2 and 3. This would be much better than I'm
> doing it. I will cross read translation if you want ...

OK, I'll give it a stab, although I'm not a native…

(the numbers were a bit hard to read sometimes, so check these, apart
from everything else of course, and also the thing marked below as
[?]; I don't know what is meant here)

The capital of the Reich still has a total of 12 exclaves, i.e. parts
outside of the city boundary, that are politically part of the city
municipality of Berlin. These territories have a total surface of 161
ha 70 a 93 sq m. These exclaves, that were taken over from the
erstwhile autonomous suburban municipalities by the city of Berlin
when it was founded in 1920, are since then part of the Spandau and
Zehlendorf administrative districts.
As can be read in the survey below, 9 exclaves belong to Spandau
district, with a total surface of 123 ha 56 a 93 sq m, or 76 [?], and
3 exclaves belong to Zehlendorf district, with a total surface of 38
ha 14 a. The Spandau exclaves are situated in the rural district of
Osthavelland, more precisely in the area that is bound in the east by
the Havel and the Berlin city boundary, in the south by the suburban
railway to Nauen, in the west by a line running from Brieselang
railway station to Brieselang forester's lodge, and in the north by
the Nieder-Neuendorfer Canal. Only the exclave in the Falkenhagen
area, formerly belonging to the rural municipality of Kladow, is
south of the aforementioned railway line, near Finkenkrug. The
exclaves of Zehlendorf administrative district are situated in Teltow
district, more precisely Steinstücken and Nuthewiesen in between
Kohlhasenbrück and Drewitz and Wüste Mark south of Albrechts Teerofen.
The biggest exclave is the one lying in the so-called Teufelsbruch
[Devil's Moor], big 37.39 ha, belonging before 1920 to the former
rural municipality of Staaken. In the same moor, north of Finkenkrug,
is an area with a surface of 27.9 ha, formerly belonging to the rural
municipality of Kladow. The smallest Berlin exclave is the 2.48 ha
big Laßzinswiesen area of Spandau, on the northern Spandau city area
boundary, which also belonged to Kladow before 1920. The surface of
the other exclaves can be seen in the survey below, and their
locations can be seen in the illustration which has been added.
Almost all Spandau exclaves still consist of meadowland, only the
exclave in the Falkenhagen area south of the Nauen suburban railway
line near Finkenkrug is inhabited. Of the Zehlendorf exclaves,
Steinstücken exclave has farms built on it; Wüste Mark exclave is
arable land, and Nuthewiesen exclave is used as meadowland. Because
of the predominantly agricultural use of the exclaves, the number of
inhabitants living there is extremely low. Apart from a few people in
the already mentioned biggest exclave in the Teufelsbruch area, only
some 270 inhabitants live in Steinstücken exclave.
Until 1920, 2 exclaves belonged to Spandau city municipality
(totalling 19.7 ha), one to Staaken rural municipality (37.4 ha), and
three each to the rural municipalities of Gatow (32.6 ha), Kladow
(33.8 ha), and Wannsee (38.1 ha). The origins of the Berlin exclaves
should be traced back to the allocation of the areas concerned by
Frederick William I or Frederick II to the farmers of the
municipalities mentioned, in order to get the cattle through the
winter better, and that later these areas also politically became
part of these municipalities. The exclaves belonging to Zehlendorf
administrative district were since the separation of 1842 part of the
former municipality of Wannsee.

Berlin exclaves:
No. / Area / District / Surface / Part of former city or rural
municipality*

a. Belonging to Spandau administrative district:
1 / Teufelsbruch / Osthavelland / 11 ha 70 a 90 sq m / Spandau city
mun.
2 / Falkenhagener Forst / Osthavelland / 8 ha 03 a 20 sq m / Spandau
city mun.
3 / Teufelsbruch / Osthavelland / 37 ha 39 a 13 sq m / Staaken rural
mun.
4 / Teufelsbruch / Osthavelland / 17 ha 53 a 00 sq m / Gatow rural
mun.
5 / Spandauer Laßzinswiesen / Osthavelland / 11 ha 01 a 20 sq m /
Gatow rural mun.
6 / Falkenhagener Forst / Osthavelland / 4 ha 05 a 20 sq m / Gatow
rural mun.
7 / Teufelsbruch / Osthavelland / 27 ha 90 a 90 sq m / Kladow rural
mun.
8 / Spandauer Laßzinswiesen / Osthavelland / 2 ha 48 a 20 sq m /
Kladow rural mun.
9 / Falkenhagen / Osthavelland / 3 ha 45 a 20 sq m / Kladow rural mun.
Total: 123 ha 56 a 93 sq m.

b. Belonging to Zehlendorf administrative district:
10 / Steinstücken / Teltow / 12 ha 67 a 00 sq m / Wannsee rural mun.
11 / Wüste Mark / Teltow / 21 ha 83 a 00 sq m / Wannsee rural mun.
12 / Nuthewiesen / Teltow / 3 ha 64 a 00 sq m / Wannsee rural mun.
Total: 38 ha 14 a 00 sq m.

*before the municipal reorganisation of 1920

Finally it should be mentioned that there is also an enclave, albeit
a small one, within the Berlin city boundary. This is an area of 1 ha
25 a 83 sq m, belonging to Seeburg rural municipality in Osthavelland
district, and which is used as a meadow. This enclave is situated
north of the Pichelswerder, in the Pichelsdorf meadows, in Spandau
administrative district.

Peter S.