Subject: Re: Re-run, Berlin exclaves
Date: Oct 14, 2002 @ 04:50
Author: Wolfgang Pietsch ("Wolfgang Pietsch" <wpi@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "blofeld_es" <blofeld_es@y...> wrote:
> Peers,
>
> Please have a look at http://berlin.enclaves.org
>
> Grab what you can while it is still there!
>
> Mats

Hi to the group, my name is Wolfgang from Berlin.
I'm not Wolfgang you already know from this group, but
I had some e-mail contacts with him before about this topic.

Mats, tx a lot for the excellent summary and recovery of
your photos ! Let me try to answer some of your questions ...
(quotes from above website)

> ... there existed at one time twelve West-Berlin exclaves
> just outside the border of West-Berlin. Most, if not all,
> were eradicated through several land exchange agreements up
> until 1990. Also, three SBZ-exclaves appear to have existed
> within Eiskeller, an area in north-west Berlin almost an exclave
> in itself.

(SBZ = German abbreviation of "Soviet Occupation Zone")

After the 3rd agreement in 1988 an official statement was
exchanged that "from now on no party has ex/enclaves within the
other parties territory".

This also silently cleared an inconsistency which has not been
discussed here before. There had been an East German enclave deep
inside West-Berlin. It was about 1 ha of "Tiefwerder Wiesen"
in Spandau (Wiesen = grass area) belonging to the community of
Seeburg, which led to an unpublished Berlin Kommandatura Letter
(BK/L) in 1963 by the British to the German Berlin authorities.
That time the area was settled by Weekend Campers which meant some
threat to the drinking water protection area. Berlin authorities
were ordered to prevent pollution without entering the enclave.
German Police was forbidden to act officially inside the Seeburg
territory. This enclave later was subject of East German offers
for further territory exchange but never explicitely included.

The 3 SBZ-exclaves within Eiskeller really existed. 2 of them
became West in 1972 exchange, 3rd was excluded for whatever
reason and remained East until 1988. The drawing on MAP 1
is correct ! I will attach a cadastral map of 1965 to another
reply on this message later. Maybe the area around that remaining
East exclave with the isolated western path strip was of little
interest to both sides. Getting the whole "Kienhorst" area would
have been too expensive for the West that time, for the East this
had been outside the border protection zone before.
Btw. the negotiations were not easy at all, East German bureaucrats
tried to complicate things and delay everything.

> At the time of visit, June 2001, the remains of the wall were not
> easy to spot, although with a bit of imagination thye wall visible
> in pictures 2 and 3 below could be interpreted as the western part
> of the anti-imperialistic protectional zone.

:-) That wall near Boettcherberg (completely west owned) makes the
boundary of "Jagdschloss Glienicke" park area and Berlin. There was
another Eastern wall just centimeters away running parallel but I
don't remember details. They needed Moevenstrasse for inhabitant
traffic so that path could not have been narrowed much more.

> Clearly there must not have been much room for a no-mans-land
> between Böttcherberg SW and West-Berlin, ...

see above. No-mans-land was less restrictive in that "selected
inhabitants" area than elsewhere.

> ... and even more so between Böttcherberg N and West-Berlin.
> Remaining debris suggested that at least Bötcherberg N was part
> of the no-mans-land before 1989, but it should be really
> interesting to know if DDR-authorities at any time respected the
> status of any of the Böttcherberg exclaves.

Bb N was no-mans-land. The wall followed the southern street
boundary (not the straight line), Road #1 was fully used (and
reconstructed) by the West, silently agreed by the East. The
Western Allied had Military Missions in Potsdam which caused some
important Allied traffic over this road and Glienicker Bruecke,
despite some spy exchange, thus the silent agreement. ;-)

There was/(is?) a little fence running parallel to Moevenstrasse
between Bb SW and the neighbor ground which is clearly drawn back
from the street line. I don't remember the area that green and
cannot see the fence on the photos but it seemed to me being the
boundary marker and respection of that tiny western neighborhood
ground. Don't know, when the electric line was constructed, that
wood seems to be old. Bb SE (part of Eastern street) may have been
subject for conflict. I believe that Eastern border patrols used
this way, but who cared ? If the Americans would have insisted in
abuse of their sector territory, maybe the East Germans would have
built the wall on the middle of Road #1.

Except Steinstuecken and (less) Eiskeller, there was little to no
public West-Berlin interest in the exclaves as they were not
reachable even before the wall. In 1952 West-Berliners were
generally forbidden to enter the SBZ, only East-Berlin was open.

> Within the Eiskeller area there may have existed three separate
> SBZ-exclaves within West-Berlin. For convenience they are named
> Eiskeller N (the norther one as seen in MAP1 below), Eiskeller S
> (the long one in MAP1) and Eiskeller E (the small triangular one
> in MAP1 and MAP2).
>
> Note the stones in pictures 4 and 5 below. Are those bordermarkers?

Seems yes, maybe from before 1920, before the Greater Berlin Area
was founded. Eiskeller was a collection of land strips belonging to
Spandau, Gatow, Kladow, Staaken (later Berlin W) and Falkenhagen
(later SBZ). So inside Eiskeller were a lot of community borders.
These stones are clearly NOT typical SBZ style. Btw. similar can
still be found on the eastern line of former "Wueste Mark" exclave.

Probably the best documentation on the development of Berlin City
Border is an article by Dieter Schröder (with Umlaut oe) in the
German "Jahrbuch des Landesarchivs Berlin 1995 - Berlin in Geschichte
und Gegenwart". Prof. Dr. Schröder was (West-Berlin) participant
in the territory exchange negotiations. The period between 1945
and 1990 brought many changes described there very detailed.

The Berlin exclaves found my interest since the first
territory exchange was signed in 1971. These days, I'm doing
some research about Finkenkrug area which is the last miracle of
those exclaves, as nearly no public material or exact maps exist.
I'll let you know when I have more.

Regards Wolfgang P.