Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Using foreign cars in your native country (-> was USMX tripoints)
Date: Oct 07, 2002 @ 19:10
Author: Victor Cantore (Victor Cantore <drpotatoes@...>)

I haven't had a chance to follow up on my own post so
here it goes.

this is defintely true with us cars in latin america.
a cheap used car here ($1000) would be $4000 in
mexico. Taxes are the reason of course and the laws of
supply and demand.

>>also it is fair to say these 2 are the 2 easiest
tripoints on mxus

in regards to that mike i believe ch/nm/tx isn't that
hard to access either especially from the other side.

back to cars for a moment, mexicans can import usa
cars and put mexican plates on them for around $300,
but the trick is that they put special bright orange
plates on them say 'FRONT' for frontera or border.
Domestic cars have white plates. The FRONT licensed
cars can only be used in the border area of MX (or in
the USA too) which encompasses the entire baja
peninsula and a 20km strip south of the actual border
in mainland MX.

anyone who has been to mexico walking over for a day
trip knows that controls crossing the border are
relaxed, but for those who cross into the 'interior'
as it is called (after the 20km strip) have to cross
customs again, and that is when the real scrutiny
takes place (immigration, cars, merchandise, etc).

That got me wondering if there is anywhere else in the
world with such a buffer zone, where the actual legal
border recognized by 2 neighbors isn't enforced
tightly by one neighbor but after passing a free zone
or buffer then it is like crossing through actual
customs. I'm sure this condition must exist in other
areas. Any thoughts?

Of course the free zone, or buffer, is done so drunk
americans can spend as much as they can without going
through the hassle of customs, etc. There's also many
advantages for the mexican residents on the their side
of the border like work in the american and foreign
factories.

vc