Subject: Using foreign cars in your native country (-> was USMX tripoints)
Date: Sep 24, 2002 @ 17:05
Author: Jan S. Krogh ("Jan S. Krogh" <jan.krogh@...>)

The reason is to avoid that Norwegians buy or rent cars abroad (where the price is 50-75% of Norwegian retail price) and use them at home without importing them and paying the custom tax and different import fees which may be as high as 100 % of the actual purchase value. (Cars sold in Norway are probably the most expensive in the world.)

If the owner is present in the car while a Norwegian is behind the steering I don't think would result in confiscation of the vehicle, but it would certainly be the fact if the Swedish friend would be abscent from the car.

I think there is some few exceptions, e.g. using rental cars from world famous companies for a very limited time when returning from abroad, and for Norwegian nationals as me emigrated from the old country. Some years ago it was quite popular for Norwegians usually living next to the border to register their new car in the name of Swedish friends, but for own exploitation inside Norway. Very soon the interpretation of the law was tighten up.

Actually the same problem one has today in Lithuania. Some criminals has Byelorussian or Russian numberplates on their cars, in fear of getting their vehicles confiscated by the court. The Lithuanian state cannot confiscate foreign property for such a purpose. The official owners are very often old ladies or drunkards who has accepted to rent out their name and address for a small amount of dollars...

Jan