Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: USMX tripoints
Date: Sep 24, 2002 @ 02:01
Author: Victor Cantore (Victor Cantore <drpotatoes@yahoo.com>)

Hi Mike,

I didn't climb either of the towers as I had my car
parked and had walked a bit and didn't like leaving it
for too long. Also, the border patrol agent had
spooked me on the US side by reminding me how
dangerous the area is. An interesting tidbit is right
up to the wall in CA the dirt is very soft and sandy
for the border patrol to track people crossing
illegally while the dirt immediately to the south of
the wall was hard as rock.

The cable car you speak of wasn't available
unfortunately on the day i visited. According to the
BP it was used for 'wildlife' or something like that.
He just knew it was administered by BLM.

You got it right CAAZBC is much more difficult to find
than SNBCAZ. the bridge really facilitates taking
photos. Even if it is a two lane bridge with people
driving like maniacs. Be sure to bring 10 pesos with
you too for the toll.

I'm including 2 more photos for the fun of it the
first is of the Andrade, CA port with the Los
Algodones, BC port in the background (with the blue
and white signs on the front not the much larger
building behind it). The second made me laugh a bit,
the English is poor at best and is an official Mexican
sign (not sure which agency is in charge) located on
the US side as indicated by the U-turn sign and the BP
truck in the background

victor

--- acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> wrote:
> nice going victor
> for it looks like you climbed at least 1 of the
> towers
> & have made at least a close visit to both these
> difficult tripoints
> for which i failed to even bring a camera
>
> did you happen to photograph any more of the towers
> themselves or the
> stunning international cable car running between
> them
>
> i had the impression that tho the american tower may
> well be
> administered by the blm & other us govt agencies
> named on it
> the car itself might actually be used by the
> international boundary &
> water commission for despatching their
> responsibility of gauging the
> stream
> here from the best possible angle
> namely directly above the channel
> so perhaps it wasnt so much for transportation per
> se as for accurate
> positioning
>
> also i thought the azbcca point itself beguilingly
> elusive from all
> angles amidst all the reeds
> & i could never quite lay an eyeball on it with
> assurance either
>
> i think a canoe & machete may really be whats needed
> here to even
> glimpse the point truly
>
> azbcso by contrast seemed to me a lot easier to
> sight with some
> assurance
> especially from the transmexican highway bridge
> along the intersection of the monument line & the
> thalweg
>
> jack parsell was once lucky enough to visit this
> point class a when
> the colorado was bone dry

> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Victor Cantore
> <drpotatoes@y...> wrote:
> > I recently took the trip east into the desert and
> > have these wonderful photos of the CABCAZ & BCAZSN
> > tripoints along the USMX border near Yuma, AZ.
> Nearly
> > a quadripoint, these 2 tripoints are separated by
> > 20+/- miles. The Colorado River forms the
> > international border for that stretch between AZ
> and
> > BC.
> >
> > Here's a map of the area:
> > http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?

Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=Yuma&state=AZ&csz=Yuma,+AZ&slt=32.725220&sln=-

114.624580&name=&zip=&country=us&&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=7&desc=&
> cs=7&newmag=5&poititle=&poi=&ds=n
> >
> > and also here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?zoom=4&mapdata=jZ2g%2b%

2fXW8V81gFZmbXAb1LhoxDZk8UeJUVLtr8EzLlBOTZjB%2ftyqw7esTQbemw%
> 2bwBgPhbnyPi7LxxTpnZfFuu6Imwx%
> 2fyJUQgSQ5sYqCXM0NWZfJjXLaHG84AMd2YrsBnbqOEdcxTr%

2fpHhO06RfN2brIm87dn3errC%2bcoV17M%2fCW7d%2bNNH1Bpt9SCl%2fwNaikWM%
> 2fXLna%2bcGRjR05vNCRB6OFiFE9%

2bIyTriC1w9B4SC9Pq2ggzZO3RMkkHfnIHNwBrNEw4yx9R1Wk6JdoOghj10KABvVfdInfo