Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] EU or not on the Euro
Date: Sep 20, 2002 @ 09:59
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

>the definition of continents is but a convention, but again the one I'm
>familiar with
>says Cyprus is in Europe. What do others think?

According to the UN definitions, Cyprus is in Asia...

http://www.un.org/Depts/unsd/methods/m49regin.htm

These definitions actually give no end of grief. In the past, I was asked
to organise the election of a European ccTLD representative for the
Internet governing body (ICANN), but unfortunately no-one had bothered to
define which countries this should include.

I therefore decided to use the UN definitions as a starting point, but
included Cyprus and Ascension Island (!) who had always come to the
European regional meeting. However, this brought complaints from Armenia
and Georgia who claimed they were part of Europe. Then there was Greenland
which is considered part of Europe for Internet purposes (as the links go
via Denmark), but is definitely not part of it geographically. And so it
goes on...

Regards,

Kevin Meynell