Subject: Re: EU or not?
Date: Sep 15, 2002 @ 09:21
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Grant

>I'm interested in what "usual sense" you mean. They have government
>arrangements that are very different from the rest of Norway

The other issue is that Svalbard has a separate ISO code to the rest of
Norway. I assume this is because of its special treaty status which grants
several nations certain access rights (albeit under Norwegian sovereignty).

I can understand why it would not be part of the Nordic Passport Union or
Schengen Area for this reason. Although most nations no longer exploit
their rights, there are still several Russian settlements in the territory.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell