Subject: EU or not?
Date: Sep 13, 2002 @ 16:17
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Peter,

>Yes, you're quite correct, but another serious problem is the fact
>that the island is extremely difficult to land on. The seas are
>rough, the shore is rugged, and the weather not very nice for most of
>the time. Not a spot where any Paddy, Roy or Harry would like to

You're quite right that it's not a place where entrepreneurs would
physically wish to go, but it has a useful country code (BV). At the height
of the .com boom, a number of companies were interested in selling .bv
domains to Dutch companies. Unfortunately for them, Uninett (the Norwegian
domain registry) refuse to register domain names under this TLD.

However, some nice registration businesses were created out of other
obscure islands with interesting country/territory codes (e.g. .nu). These
mostly uninhabited places became known in the trade as 'penguin registries'
(although of course Niue isn't uninhabited and I don't think it has
penguins either) ;-)

Regards,

Kevin Meynell