Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Bering sea
Date: Aug 02, 2002 @ 06:38
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@...>)

Thanks, Grant. It was all due to my misconception of the definition of
"continental shelf". I wasn't aware of the fact that the continental
slope was part of it as well, and that there are parts beyond that,
that can be claimed (up to where exactly? - I think the 2500 m isobath
plays a role here too).
A nice map of the Russian claims is at the site of the United Nations
Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf (where Russia has
submitted its proposals):
http://www.un.org/Depts/los/clcs_new/submissions_files/RUS_CLCS_01_2001_LOS_3.jpg
(translation of the legend at
http://www.un.org/Depts/los/clcs_new/submissions_files/RUS_page5_Legend.pdf
). Interesting to see that Russia also adheres to the (unratified)
treaty line of 1990. Interesting as well the reaction of the US to the
Russian submission (
http://www.un.org/Depts/los/clcs_new/submissions_files/CLCS_01_2001_LOS__USAtext.pdf
): the US actually points out that the boundary treaty has not yet been
ratified by the Duma...

I think the position of the "western special area" can be guessed from
the Russian map: it is due south of the Russian part of the Donut Hole,
and the 200 nm outer limit is measured from Attu Island.

Peter S.