Subject: Re: Bering sea
Date: Aug 01, 2002 @ 23:12
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> I still do not understand why the line in the Donut Hole is
important
> vis-a-vis the extension of the EEZ's by taking up all of the
> continental shelf, because I don't see how the Donut Hole can be
part
> of the continental shelf. But since everything I've read seems to
> take for granted that the Donut Hole is, indeed, part of the
> continental shelf, I must be overlooking something here. Can anyone
> help?
Prescott shows an area of continental shelf extending beyond the
200nm EEZ in the Barents Sea - it forms a rim along the NE edge of
the donut hole. Prescott gives the Barents Sea as an extreme example
of an extensive continental shelf - up to 700nm from the continental
shore, although admittedly dotted with islands like the Pribilofs
that push the EEZ out almost as far. The old treaty line would leave
almost all the shelf area beyond the 200nm limit belonging to the US,
while a median puts a moderate western area in Russian hands. Given
the possible presence of oil, I guess that's why American maps are so
keen on marking the treaty line.

Grant