Subject: Re: Old bedelu
Date: May 10, 2002 @ 21:11
Author: ps1966nl ("ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>)

A site that makes things a bit more clear (although not entirely yet):

http://home.tiscalinet.be/albertbastings/page19.html

A quick translation made by me:

-----
The boundary markers of Luxembourg

Because of the fact that during a certain period Belgium and the
Grand Duchy of Luxembourg shared their history, nowadays we are
confronted with two different boundary markers, according to the
point of delimitation that they indicated in the past.
This can be easily seen on the spot where the road to Deiffelt
(Belgium) touches the extreme point of Luxembourg, "An der Schmiede".
At this spot, boundary marker no. 286 (of the same kind as those that
are found on the Belgium-Netherlands border), on the north side of
the road, faces marker no. 75, looking more like an obelisk, on the
south side of the road. From a historical point of view, there could
even be a third marker, since it is here that the boundary between
the Belgian provinces of Liège and Luxembourg begins – this border
goes to the north, up to the municipality of Recht. This stretch also
follows a part of the old border between Prussia and the Netherlands.

The boundary Germany-Luxembourg

Marker no. 75 is on the old boundary between the Netherlands and
Prussia, like it was delimited according to the Treaty of Aachen
(June 26, 1816), and completed by the demarcation report between the
Great Duchy and Prussia.
These boundaries start at marker no. 1 at the tripoint Perl-Apach-
Schengen (Luxembourg, France, Germany), follow the actual German-
Luxembourg border, along the Our to the north to the tripoint at
Ouren (Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg). From marker no. 1 of the post-
1919 Belgian-German series, it goes slightly to the west in the
direction of Malscheid up to "An der Schmiede", where marker no. 75
is the last of this series. From this point the old boundary of 1819
between Belgium and Prussia commences, a boundary that goes north up
to the actual tripoint at Vaals, where marker no. 193 is the final
point.

The boundary Prussia-Luxembourg

The boundary between the Grand Duchy and Prussia was established by
the Treaty of Aachen (26.6.1816), the "Treaty of Demarcation between
the Netherlands and Prussia". Art. 2: The demarcation line starts at
the Moselle, at the point where the right bank leaves the French
territory, follows the course of the Moselle up to the mouth of the
Sûre, follows the course of this river up to the mouth of the Our and
reaches, following the course of this brook, the bordering point of
the Sankt Vith canton.
Art. 42 of the demarcation report between the Great Duchy and Prussia
describes the boundary markers used for the delimitation of the
territories as follows: "these markers will be made of oak wood, in a
square form, and with a length of 12 foot: 8 above, 4 beneath ground
level. They will be painted, on the Prussian side, black and white,
on the Dutch side orange and white. The numbering will start at the
Moselle, at the French-Luxembourgish boundary (Perl-Apach-Schengen),
and proceed to the north and finish at marker no. 75 (near the actual
marker no. 286).
Later these markers were replaced by stone markers, but the numbering
was retained. All these markers [the ones in wood, I think – P.S.]
disappeared towards 1840.

The Belgium-Luxembourg boundary

This boundary was officially established by the Treaty of London,
the "Treaty of the 24 Articles" (19.4.1839), art. 2, and completed by
the Protocol of Maastricht (26.5.1843), the descriptive delimitation
report between the Grand Duchy and Belgium, and the Boundaries'
Convention of 7.8.1843. It starts at marke no. 1 (a double marker on
both sides of the river Chiers) at the tripoint Athus (Belgium) –
Rodange (Grand Duchy) – Mont-Saint-Martin (France), goes to the
north, like described above, to marker no. 286 on the axis of the
road Bellain – Burg-Reuland, where this road crosses the Luxembourg –
Stavelot (Deiffelt) one. On this spot, the Belgian-Luxembourgish
boundary reaches the boundary from Germany (and thus the provincial
boundary of Liège).
In this neighbourhood, also four small markers can be found, placed
as auxiliary markers, where roads of lesser importance cross the
border. The boundary markers used for the delimitation of this
boundary are the same as those that are used on the Belgian-Dutch
border. They are thought to be placed around 1843-1844.
-----

So marker A is No. 286 of the belu demarcation, and marker B is No.
75 of the old denl demarcation.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> Two pictures of the old bedelu. One old stone is standing south of
the
> road (B on the little scheme I made). It bears an inscription, but
has
> become impossible to decipher. The other marker (B) is a cast iron
benl
> type of marker, so it looks like forming part of the delimitation of
> 1843, when the border of Belgium with the remaining parts of the
> Netherlands (the Kingdom of the N. and the Gr. Duchy of Luxembourg)
was